Electrical Conversion Kit

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Electrical Conversion Kit

BigBrother-84
For those who, as me, are curious about the subject.

In August '21, Gary posted this:
https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Ford-Announces-The-Eluminator-Crate-Electric-Motor-tp103351.html

Last May '22, Cory posted this:
https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1980-F150e-Ranger-Electric-Conversion-tp119131.html

I recently discovered that a company near me (Montreal, QC) does an electrical conversion kit.  Interesting.
I suppose this could fit in a Bullnose as well.

There is a paper about them (Ecotuned inc):
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124262_electric-ford-f-150-already-exists-as-second-life-conversion-kit

They already have couple of electrical F-150 running around Montreal.

I propose that we group these different electrical conversion kits in a unique thread.
If someone finds another kind of kit, just post it here, will be easy to find!
What do you think about this suggestion?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Electrical Conversion Kit

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think it is a good idea to have a thread like this.  

But, having read that paper on Ecotuned I'm not sure that I see a whole lot of advantage.  Here's what they say:

In what’s shaped up to be a two-day process for two mechanics—a total of 32 labor-hours—Ecotuned takes a regular F-150 that’s near or past the expiration of its original powertrain warranty and takes out the original engine, transmission, fuel system and exhaust. It then installs the motor and two-speed transmission and the power electronics. And then the battery pack goes underneath the car. Finally, they turn the fuel meter into the battery level meter—a nice wink to the truck’s new purpose.

The battery pack can range from 43 kilowatt-hours up to 86 kwh, depending on the space. In many installations, such as the F-150 it was showing last month, Ecotuned tucks some of the cells under the hood. They’re all cooled on the same circuit as the power electronics and the cells under the floor, utilizing the original radiator placement.

In its 48-kwh form as displayed, in a 2014 Ford F-150, the company listed 87 miles as the driving range, but Gladu says that it goes well beyond that in “ideal conditions” and that he’s gone more than 124 miles (200 km). The company said that the top 86-kwh version, with 14,500 pounds on board, can still go 99 miles. Level 2 onboard charging allows a six-hour recharge time for the cells, which arrive from a China-based supplier packed in modules.

While I see the advantage of going electric, 87 or 99 miles doesn't seem very far - even with 14,500 lbs on board.  And a 6-hour recharge time seems very long.

But, how do they safely put 14,500 lbs on board an F150?  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary, you're right!  This load seems so heavy.  Not surprising about this small autonomy range.

But technology goes fast, I am confident that there we'll not have to wait a lot of years before there will be acceptable kits on the market.

Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I think it is a good idea to have a thread like this.  

But, having read that paper on Ecotuned I'm not sure that I see a whole lot of advantage.  Here's what they say:

In what’s shaped up to be a two-day process for two mechanics—a total of 32 labor-hours—Ecotuned takes a regular F-150 that’s near or past the expiration of its original powertrain warranty and takes out the original engine, transmission, fuel system and exhaust. It then installs the motor and two-speed transmission and the power electronics. And then the battery pack goes underneath the car. Finally, they turn the fuel meter into the battery level meter—a nice wink to the truck’s new purpose.

The battery pack can range from 43 kilowatt-hours up to 86 kwh, depending on the space. In many installations, such as the F-150 it was showing last month, Ecotuned tucks some of the cells under the hood. They’re all cooled on the same circuit as the power electronics and the cells under the floor, utilizing the original radiator placement.

In its 48-kwh form as displayed, in a 2014 Ford F-150, the company listed 87 miles as the driving range, but Gladu says that it goes well beyond that in “ideal conditions” and that he’s gone more than 124 miles (200 km). The company said that the top 86-kwh version, with 14,500 pounds on board, can still go 99 miles. Level 2 onboard charging allows a six-hour recharge time for the cells, which arrive from a China-based supplier packed in modules.

While I see the advantage of going electric, 87 or 99 miles doesn't seem very far - even with 14,500 lbs on board.  And a 6-hour recharge time seems very long.

But, how do they safely put 14,500 lbs on board an F150?  
No it isnt, 87 - 99 miles means if I left my house with a full charge I would run out of juice a good 4 miles from reaching my property which is around a 108 mile drive one way traveling at 80 mph most of the distance.

Its why I always maintained electric will always be an urban benefit just like it was over a century ago.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Rusty_S85 wrote
Its why I always maintained electric will always be an urban benefit just like it was over a century ago.
I fully agree that , for now, and for lot of years ahead, I won't be able to reach my fishing camp and come back home with any electrical vehicle.  And not to mention the winter time here which reduces by more one third the battery range, big deal!

But I sincerely hope that you're wrong about the delay, and that it will take less than a century of technology progress to get vehicles with similar range than our gas cars.

Maybe a different thread will be required for that.  Hydrogen, maybe?

Let's keep optimistic!

Restored 2019-2022.