classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Electrical Connector for Tank Selector Valve 1985 EFI 5.0

LastDeadLast
All,

I'm busy trying to replace both tanks in my 85 and I ran into a problem.  One of the fuel lines cracked for the rear tank and while taking it off the Selector Valve I broke the electrical connector.  Normally I wouldn't care that much, but the connector is pointing straight down and will mostly likely fall out eventually.  

Before I resort to more redneck solutions, I would like to try to replace the connector since the OEM version looks like I could remove the pins, but I can't find one to save my life.  For some reason, all the sites say I need a Weather Pack type connector but that's not the connector that I have.

Can anyone help me identify this:  

Thanks in advance!

-Shannon
1985 F150 XLT
1965 Mustang Convertible
2013 F150 Platinum
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Electrical Connector for Tank Selector Valve 1985 EFI 5.0

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll see if I can find it in the master parts catalog, but that doesn't usually work.

Instead you should look at the connector catalog at Documentation/Electrical/Connectors.  I've included a screen grab of the 5-cavity connectors, below, but if you go there you can zoom in on it to look at a connector more closely.  Or, download it and use a pdf viewer to get an even better view.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LastDeadLast
Thanks Gary,

I did download the PDF and couldn't find one even close.  Very frustrating.  I love these 1-year only parts.

Really makes the joy of ownership that much better.  

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Shannon

1985 F150 XLT
1965 Mustang Convertible
2013 F150 Platinum
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And I've been through the MPC and didn't come up with anything.  Sorry!

Perhaps someone on here has an extra?  I'll check my stash tomorrow.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LastDeadLast
I appreciate that Gary.

I've been scouring the Internet all day and coming up zilch.  I'm even looking for used harnesses on eBay
that I could score cheap.

On another note.. everything I've read says that it's a miracle that the OEM 6-port selector valve has made it this long without failure.  Are there other OEM alternatives that can be fairly easily retro fitted?

-Shannon
1985 F150 XLT
1965 Mustang Convertible
2013 F150 Platinum
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
First, look at the connector for the 460 hot fuel handling package selector valve, that is a 6 port valve and I would not be completely surprised if Ford used the same valve for the 1985 EFI. 1986-1989 models used a reservoir/switching valve that worked automatically by which ever pump was running.

I think I still have the rear chassis cable from Darth. If the plug is the same and in decent shape you can have it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, here's the one I have, and its clip is broken.

Bill - Can you read the tag?  Was this a spare?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
No, that is the one from Darth, if you unroll it it's pretty long. I never had problem with it coming unplugged. between 1994 when I bought Darth and 2010 or so when I did the EFI conversion. I have some pictures I took of the Ford diagnostic manuals I have and will send you.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by LastDeadLast
When looking to retrofit most people go with the Pollack valve and pigtail kit.

The very same valves are marketed by Airtex, Wells, NAPA, etc.. You can find them for around $80 on eBay.

These used to be good before they were bought by Standard Motor Products.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

LastDeadLast
I found a low mileage 6 port valve locally from a super duty.  I would honestly trust this over anything found on Amazon or eBay unless it was OEM.. which is going for CRAZY money right now.

It looks like the mounting is the same and it has a slightly different connector, but it's still a 5-pin.  The big difference is that I can still get the connector and all the ports are the same duck-bill types.  So it would seem like an easy install.

Does this seem like a reasonable solution?

-Shannon
1985 F150 XLT
1965 Mustang Convertible
2013 F150 Platinum
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It seems reasonable but I have nothing to offer on the '99 & up valves.

Good luck!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.