Electric AC Condenser Fan

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Electric AC Condenser Fan

86 1/2 Brutus
This truck is a bit of a pain though.   I nick named it Ghost Truck.   Not sure if any of you are aware or not, but this truck is a Military truck.  in late 86 model year they made 1000 of these trucks, they were all baby blue with the Z vector stripes on it.  There is alot of redundant wiring , and everything is super heavy duty everywhere.  In addition, there is alot of 87 parts and some of the electronics are Lincoln.  This is a half year truck.   I have the same problem with the Ranchero, we have a 79 1/2 very limited edition of which only 350 still exhist out of 700.  in late 79 model year they sent the Ranchero out  with a bang.  All leather, XR7 door panels, leather dash pad and instrument panel.  This one is a pain as well, some of it is Lincoln, some of it is cougar/T bird.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Generous offer.  But my two sets of those books, 1981 and '85, and pretty well hacked up and on the site as pdf's.  Yes, there's lots more that can be put out there, but it'll all come over time.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Gary if you need anything put up, just let me know if you dont have it and i do i will send it to you
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  But I have a rather extensive library, including:

Master Parts Catalogs: I have several versions of the 1980 - 89 MPC, including two different versions of the "final" 1994 copy on CD.  Plus, with the help of another member I have one of only two copies that have several of the missing pages from that version added in.  And I have two versions of it on microfiche.
Factory Shop Manuals: 1981 & '85
EVTM's: all Bullnose years
Technical Service Bulletins: every one from 1979 into the mid-90's
Brochures: Not all of them, but a pretty decent start, as shown here: Documentation/Literature.
Other: As shown in Literature there are other documents or booklets included, like body builders guides, owner guides, operators manuals, etc

Anyway, I'm always on the lookout for more literature!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That kind of sounds like the M880s, basically a D200, but had some idiosyncrasies in it making not exactly a normal D200. A lot was almost a trailer tow package as far as cooling system and brakes minus the trailer wiring.

As far as late production, Darth was built August 1986 and some of the stuff on him is interesting. Now, front sheet metal is from a 1990, as is the E4OD, engine controls are 1996, EEC-V reflashed to do away with the misfire detector, third O2 sensor and catalyst overheat sensor. My first car, a 1964 Falcon with the 260 V8 and 3 speed was built July 27th 1964, it had 289 heads on it, instrument cluster, everything in it had PNs starting C5ZZ signifying Mustang.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Dave I gave you this pressure switch part number on another thread we were on, talking about ac a few days ago. Here it is again, The NAPA part number for the R134 pressure switch is TEM207887.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
1 I dont have a fan blowing into the grill, just the cars fan pulling air through the condenser.
2 I dont even have a shop at home, I work out side in the heat, dirt and rocks( a shop is in the near future)
3 You say you have an expantion valve and an orface tube? They both do the same job. If you have an expantion valve, you dont have factory air, it was added by the dealer. That being said, you may have the wrong fan shroud and the wrong fan for ac.
4 My car has the same compressor that it had from the factory, a Sanden. I had to replace it in 02. When the hoses went in 02 and I did the orignal convershion in 02, there was a bunch of metal in the orface tube so I changed the compressor at the same time as the metal pieces mean the compressor is coming apart.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
In reply to this post by old55pete
thanks for that info steve,you just made my life a bit easier
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
i can pretty much guarantee its factory AC, i'm going to go back to the books to check on some things.  But like i mentioned earlier in this post, this  is a strange truck
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
This post was updated on .
I think i'm getting the truck and the ranchero confused.  the truck does not have an expansion valve,  way to many things going on at the same time.  here is pics of some of the original stuff
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus

Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
old55pete wrote
Dave I gave you this pressure switch part number on another thread we were on, talking about ac a few days ago. Here it is again, The NAPA part number for the R134 pressure switch is TEM207887.
I remember talking about it now number is on my pad to get with other parts when I go out later.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I was just looking at the AC compressor mounting brackets in your pictures. Those look like the brackets for a HR980 compressor. Normaly those compressors are from a dealer installed system. From the look of youe evap core, it looks like someone used ac stop leak to get it to hold pressure. That could have been part of the problem you were having with it not being cold enough.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
George n Nick wrote

The control panel sure looks like factory AC one as does the under hood stuff.
I would get the system re-newed like you are doing with out the pusher fan and see how it works.
Again with all the posts of conversions and they work pretty good I cant see having any issues if it is all new like in your case.

We are so close on the pictures or information for the water pump pulley I need.
Could you tell me if it has 3 belt grooves and if they are the same dia.?

On a side note what belt numbers do you have for the AC & PS?
The belt I got for the AC will be to short and the way the PS belt was run was for a non-AC truck and the too small AC belt is to wide & long for the PS.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
old55pete wrote
I was just looking at the AC compressor mounting brackets in your pictures. Those look like the brackets for a HR980 compressor. Normally those compressors are from a dealer installed system. From the look of your evap core, it looks like someone used ac stop leak to get it to hold pressure. That could have been part of the problem you were having with it not being cold enough.
Steve, that is the 83/ factory bracket

And I just bolted up a compressor from an 85 truck to the bracket with no issues.
My issues are my truck used a York compressor so used different hoses. I was told the newer compressor hoses would not fit my truck. Well they do I just have to bend the tube a little on my year dryer for the hose to clear the hood. The newer year dryer does not fit the evap coil, I tried.

On the evap coil and the blue wonder if that was blue paint from when they painted the truck?
It looks like the same color.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I think so on the pulley, ill take some pics and put them up in a few.  its so hot outside and working outside just isnt cutting it today.  going to do some touch up painting then coming inside the AC.    
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
George n Nick wrote
I think so on the pulley, ill take some pics and put them up in a few.  its so hot outside and working outside just isnt cutting it today.  going to do some touch up painting then coming inside the AC.
Thanks when you can, I just want to make sure that is the part I am looking for.

I been out in the garage trying to make heads or tails of what I got as I have a mix of AC and non-AC parts on the motor but did not know this till I bolted the compressor up yesterday.

I hear you on the heat. I have to hit the parts store to exchange wrong parts and get the right PS belt so I can see if the PS spacing I did will work or not. Then I am also calling it quits for the day.
I am sure I will be out in the heat tomorrow for work
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Yep, mine being dealer A/C I dont have a blend door, what controls the temp is a thermostatic switch that cycles the compressor to maintain a temp.  On the coldest setting it cycles at like 45*.  I think on the coldest setting it should never cycle cause mine is an expansion valve system, I recall looking under the dash once and seeing the expansion valve.  So in my eyes the expansion valve will stop the system from freezing so there is no reason to have the cycling switch to cycle when on full cold.

Its why I think my thermostatic switch is bad with age, might not be reading the right temp any more so I am looking at getting the mid 60`s under the dash mustang switch that cites full cold cut out is 25* and full cold cut in is like 35*.  That should be more than enough for my setup.

I just need to get more airflow and I think my problem is when the dealership installed the A/C system they kept the 5 bladed non A/C flex fan instead of upgrading to the 6 bladed clutch fan or the 7 bladed flex fan.

I am not a fan of clutch fans as every one they sell now is HD and they sound like an airplane taking off, and I tried switching to a clutch fan on my '78 Mercury and the A/C actually started doing worse as the clutch fan with an extra blade doesnt spin 1:1 ever even in full lock up there is still some slippage where as the flex fan always spin 1:1 no matter what.  So I sourced a 7 bladed flex fan from flex a lite that is the same dimensions as the OE 7 blade flex fan basically.  Only thing is the diameter is 1/2" less on this one which means its 1/4" smaller on each end but the diameter is the exact same as my 5 bladed flex fan which means I know it will fit my OE fan shrould.

I hope this extra blades and pitch will help pull more air across the condenser to help with cooling.  If it doesnt my only other two options would be to junk the small half width condenser for a aftermarket full width 134A condenser to give more heat exchange or take and add a small auxiliary condenser fan and splice it into fan 1 on my sniper and switch fan 1 to be an A/C fan.

I dont need it to be colder though cause it does blow 58* out of the vent on 100* days and you never sweat in the truck its great as is.  But I like to do it right and after finding out the 5 bladed flex fan was never used with A/C I figured let me get the right blades if possible.  Might allow me to stuff a little more 134A into the system to make it work better while maintaining lower head pressure.

My problem is I dont know what the spec is of my system.  I can find charge data for factory A/C but there is no spec for how much refrigerant for dealer A/C so I have to go by pressures and I believe vintage air documents I have from vintage air installs says the high side pressure should be 1 1/2 times the ambient air temperature at full charge.  So at 100* ambient air temp then the high side should be 250 PSI but these york compressors they are good to 350 PSI and on my factory A/C for my '78 Mercury my ford shop manual states head pressure can go as high as 320 psi in normal operation.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I stand corrected sir, thank you.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Dave, i have your pics, the pulley the inside 2 grooves are the same, the outside one for the ac belt is wider.  Also is a pic of he compressor, is the same compressor that was in lincolns and crown vics  i believe its an FS6.     You are right, the evap has had some stop leak put into it.  Pretty much everything in the ac system deteriorated over the years so we just decided to go all new
Nick and George
Owned since new