Ecoboost swapped Bullnose F150

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ecoboost swapped Bullnose F150

salans7
Has anybody here seen this truck before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKRsY4GSi2g
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ecoboost swapped Bullnose F150

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, I hadn't seen that.  But it is cool.  However, I don't like the exhaust sound, which is consistent with what I've read - you really can't make the 3.5L EB sound good.  But boy, do they RUN!  I really like my '15, and it is basically the same as that '14 he used.  Hmmm...  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Ford did a pretty good job with the stock Raptor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlVos7PL4PU
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a whole lot better than the sound on that Bullnose.  But it still isn't "sweet".

I guess I'm used to the exhaust of a normally-aspirated engine, and the turbos seem to mess that sound up.  In Cars you can hear Doc Hudson's NA six, and it is sweet.  But on that Bullnose you can actually hear the turbos, which I don't like, as well as the harsh note of the engine.  On Blue and Janey's GLK you can't hear the turbos, and there's effectively no exhaust sound on either of them.

Bottom Line: I like the results of turbos, but don't like the resulting sound.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If I heard right he is running right out of the turbo, no cat or muffler and why it sounds the way it dose.
Now I would think no cat could make the computer freak out but maybe not?
Then again the O2 is before the cat right? So guess not?

To me that sounds like the old 231's even & odd fire v6 Buicks used in Jeeps back in the day.
We raced a few and with open headers they sounded just like that with out the turbo wine.

I also dont mind the wine but thats me and maybe after some time it might get to me?
My 86 K5 Blazer diesel, turbo was just starting to wine when I sold it.
Then again I drive a big rig and hear the wine all day long and dont really hear it?

It is pretty cool swap just dont think I would do one at this time.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I think he did say it was w/o cats and muffs.  Perhaps adding muffs would tone it down.

Interesting discussion here: What makes the 3.5 Ecoboost sound the way it does?  Apparently I'm not the only one that doesn't like the EB's exhaust sound.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
You should ride in the passenger side of a military M54A2 5ton Multifuel truck, no muffler, just a large stack from the turbo outlet. Just the bellow of that LDS 465 in-line six, until the driver lifts his foot. The resulting whine as the turbo unspools is almost painful.

Another tidbit of information. Virginia had on the auto inspection books a statement that by itself a turbocharger did not qualify as a muffler, nor did a catalytic converter. A combination of the two or a muffler with either was acceptable. My 1963 Jetfire originally had a cross mounted muffler behind the axle with one fairly big inlet and dual tailpipes, under the car was a resonator. When both rusted out, I had my muffler shop stick a single glass pack and tailpipe on it. Car had a nasty sounding whine under power prompting a kid that worked for me at Preston to nickname it the Batmobile. The LeBaron will be getting a high flow catalytic converter and low restriction muffler installed underneath. Factory turbo outlet is 2 1/2" OD.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413