EFI conversion - Fuel tank options

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

EFI conversion - Fuel tank options

tanman
So I purchased the 4 barrel sniper kit with the external pump and regulator. I want to just buy a new factory 16 gallon side tank.

Are any of the tanks baffled? Should I buy a new sending unit? My truck has a straight six that originally had the feedback carb. It currently has the Weber 38 from the clifford kit.

Does the tank matter? Should I just order a new tank and sending unit for my year make and model?
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: EFI conversion - Fuel tank options

1986F150Six
Administrator
Where are you located? In storage I have a factory fuel tank from a 1985 which was equipped with 4.9L and only had 61K miles. It is very clean and is the 16.25 gal side tank. Beginning in 1985, the tanks had the larger sender mount hole for the trucks since some had F.I.
Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
I'm in Raleigh North Carolina.
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Even for an original part, shipping would be prohibitive. If you are ever in the area of north Alabama, contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by tanman
tanman wrote
So I purchased the 4 barrel sniper kit with the external pump and regulator. I want to just buy a new factory 16 gallon side tank.

Are any of the tanks baffled? Should I buy a new sending unit? My truck has a straight six that originally had the feedback carb. It currently has the Weber 38 from the clifford kit.

Does the tank matter? Should I just order a new tank and sending unit for my year make and model?
No, none of the 1980 - 1986 tanks are baffled.  In 1985/86 when EFI was introduced they placed a low pressure lift pump in the tank that kept a plastic reservoir filled on the frame which is where the high pressure EFI fuel pump mounted on the frame pulled fuel from.  It was a band aid done by Ford to work around fuel slosh.

If you source a '85-'86 tank the hole is big enough to reach your hand down into the tank and weld some baffling plates in to help hold the fuel in the sump area.  This is what I plan on doing.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
When I look at the 16 gallon side mount tanks on Rock Auto there appears to be no difference between a 1986 vs. a 1996.

I wonder if the '92-'96 tanks are baffled? Is the diameter of the sender hole the same?

86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know that the later tanks are set up for the Fuel Delivery Modules and the location on the tab for them is different from where the Bullnose pump/sending unit's tab is.  And I assume that the change happened in 1987 with the new/different sending unit/pump.

What that means is that the Bullnose sending unit/pump won't orient correctly unless you cut a new slot in the tank.  But if you do then it is likely to rust at that point since that's where any moisture will be, so you'll want to treat it with something that gasoline won't soften or remove.

I put the 90's tanks in Big Blue and I don't think there's any baffling in them.  And I used the correct FDM's, which means that w/o an interface the gas gauge reads wrong and backwards. I used a Meter Match to correct that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by tanman
I used a pair of 1990 tanks on Darth, they are not baffled, but the FDMs (Fuel Delivery Modules) sit down into wells in the center of the tanks. The FDMs have a siphon system on the returning fuel portion that draws fuel into the FDM "cup" Here is a diagram of a 1993 front FDM installed:

Here is a diagram of the FDM internals:
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good explanation, Bill.  Which is a big reason we are both running the 90's tanks and FDM's since we are both running Ford's EEC-V EFI system.  We are using the complete system.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI