Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

EFI For Dad's Truck

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'm going to put EFI on the 400 engine in Dad's truck, for a couple of reasons:

1. To "future proof" it.  In other words, I want someone to be able to maintain it, and I don't think any of my offspring will be up to doing carb work.  But, with an OBD-II port and Ford parts it should be easily maintained.

2. To control the E4OD tranny.  Yes, the "E" means electronic, and that means it requires a computer of some kind to control it.  I could use a Baumann controller, but why not go whole-hog and use Ford's computer?

And, since the theme is "As Ford would/could have done it" I'd like to use as many Ford components as possible.  However, since the 335-Series engines were never injected by Ford, I'll have to use components from other engine families.  So, here's the plan at this point in time.  (Note: This page is locked so there can't be responses as I'm using this as a whiteboard of sorts in order to keep track of what I want to do.  But you can respond in the E4OD For Dad's Truck thread.)

Wiring: 1996 Ford 5.0L wiring harness and associated EEC-V computer.  That will be mass air flow (MAF) and sequential (SEFI), giving the best control of air/fuel ratio.

PDC: I plan to use the 96’s power distribution center “as is” as much as possible. It will have fuses and relays to power many, if not all, of the circuits of the truck, and I’ll use them instead of the fusible links the Bullnose trucks originally had.

Computer: The computer will have to be reprogrammed to handle the different cubic inch displacement of the engine, the larger injectors to handle the power, etc.  For this I plan to use Core Tuning's system.

Computer Location: Under the driver's seat as I don't think it would be easy to mount it in the driver's kick panel like the later trucks.

Intake: There is not, as yet, an intake manifold that fits the 400 and has provisions for injectors.  However, Trick Flow makes a 302/351W style intake specifically for the low-deck 351C engine.  That would allow using the wiring harness above with other standard Ford parts.  However, since the 400 is the tall block I'll have to use Price Motorsports AP-29 spacers to adapt the smaller intake to the taller block.  Harold Miller of Trick Flow says it should work fine, although I'll want the 75mm version and not the 90mm one to keep velocity up at low RPM.

Injectors: I'm hoping to use stock 460 injectors.

Intake Plumbing: Stock 87-93 Mustang inlet tubing, air cleaner housing, etc. may work.  However,
 the Mustang stuff goes on the passenger's side so it will be interesting to see if it'll fit by flipping it around.

Fuel Rails: The stock rails from a Mustang will work, but Trick Flow has some fancy ones.

Distributor: Stock 460 EFI distributor as the 335 and 385 series share a distributor.  Harold says the intake will clear it, although I might have to use spacers on the fuel rails.

Throttle Body: A stock Mustang one will work, or an aftermarket one.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI