classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

EEC-IV ECM identification

Orkea6
Hi Guys,

I have a 1984 4.9L with MT and the factory troubleshooting flow diagrams point to a bad ECM - I have codes 21 (ECT Engine Control Temp Sensor), 22 (MAP Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor), and 42 (FCB ~FeedBack Carb) with engine off, and I have also code 77 (WOT Wide Open Throttle) with engine running- and yes, I am pretty sure I am doing the WOT at the dynamic input time.  

Thing is - there are no labels on the ECM unit- they have fallen off at some point. I opened the unit and found E4EF-14A608-AB in copper layer of PCB. On the chassis connector there is the number melted in- E4LB-14A624-DB - and one sticker on the connector with CX on it.

I see four different ECMs available on the used market for the 4.9L - but which one is definitively the unit for federal emissions and MT? Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the answer? My Ford factory manuals tell me to look at the number on the part- but there must be another way.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Cheers.

1984 F150 Short Bed
4.9L 300/6 with 4 speed OD
1984/5 E350 with Super Duty package
7.5L C6 Dana 70 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: EEC-IV ECM identification

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary has a list of a lot of these, but it will help if the emission code, example 4-63G-R0
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Orkea6
There are several calibration codes for an '84 F150 w/a 4.9L and a manual tranny.  I see 4 for that combo with 2WD and non-CA spec's and non-high altitude.  I see some for 2wd and CA specs.  Some for 4WD and non-CA, etc.

So you should go to the page at Documentation/CALIBRATION INFO & PART #'S and then the Application to Parts List tab.  Scroll down to 1984 and then see if you can narrow it down to the right # of drive wheels and CA vs 49-State vs Hi-altitude.

Then, with the narrowed-down parts list #'s you can go to the Parts List tab on the same page and see all the parts specific to that parts list.  If your carb has an ID tab you should then be able to determine which calibration you have, and from there find your ECU #.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Orkea6
Hey Gary,

Thanks so much for pointing this out to me- my truck is literally already highlighted in your example on the page! Boyo- I feel dense- esp. because I used this once before to determine which carb the truck should have on it- I see now that with the E4TE-VA carb, it should use E4EF-12A650-AB1A, AB1B, or AB2B

Second thought, I don't feel so dense- Ford made it as they made it; and I've been spoiled working on other things where you just put a VIN in and get the correct parts. What I really feel is grateful- for your help and the huge amount of work you have put in to build this site. Thanks again! You're a pal.

Cheers.
1984 F150 Short Bed
4.9L 300/6 with 4 speed OD
1984/5 E350 with Super Duty package
7.5L C6 Dana 70 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hey, I'm just happy you found the information.  

Happy to help!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI