classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

E4OD Overdrive Lockout Switch

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As some of you know, I'm going use an E4OD in Dad's truck. But what some of you might not know is that Steve/Foxford33 is going to use an E4OD in his Feep. ("Ford-powered Jeep", as coined by Bill/85lebaront2.) And both of us plan to use the ~1990 dash-mounted OD lockout switch.

Recently Steve asked me if I knew what bulb is used in the dash-illumination part of the lockout switch as he wants to go with an LED in it. I didn't, and still don't, but pulled out my switch to see if I could tell. Nope, it doesn't appear to have any numbers on it. In fact, it doesn't appear that the bulb itself is to be replaced as it is in a carrier, as shown below on the right.

But the legs of the "pea" bulb just wrap around in the carrier, so we could install a 12V LED with ease. Towards that end I've ordered in 10 of these 12V white LEDs from Digikey.

Also, I asked Bill/85lebaront2 for the schematic for how the switch is wired and he came up with the schematic shown farther down. I tested my switch with my DVM & bench power supply and updated the schematic with pinouts for the switch as well as the value of the resistor. And there are a couple of pics way down showing how the LED for the lockout and the current incandescent bulb for general illumination look.

I'll update this post when I get the LEDs in and do more testing. The datasheet on them shows that they'll dim as the voltage goes down but it'll be interesting to see how they compare to the other dash lights. We may need to add a resistor in series to drop the output.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: E4OD Overdrive Lockout Switch

85lebaront2
Administrator
I thought Steve was going to used the beefed up 4R70W as it is (a) already set up for 4WD and (b) more compact than an E4OD.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, he is.  I misspoke/typed.  He is using the 4R70W, but will be using the same OD lockout switch I'm using.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Success!  The 12V white LEDs from Digikey came in and I installed one of them.  But it wasn't quite that easy.

The LED measures .219" OD on the rim and .197" OD on the body, but the opening in my bulb carrier for the switch is oval and will take a .187" drill bit with some effort.  So I chucked an LED in the drill and used a file to turn it down to .175".  It then went in nicely.

Here's a shot showing the LED driven by 14v, so full brilliance.  That may be too much and we might want to drop the voltage via a resistor in series when the time comes, but that can wait.  And below that are two pics - the pea bulb, unmodified LED, and modified LED on the left, and pea bulb and LED in the carrier on the right.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Cool! Nice work!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, keep in mind that light is fed from the dash light circuit so is dimmed with the headlight switch on the Ford, probably the same on the Feep.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Dane.

Bill - Yes, but at least on BB I run the lights pretty bright. Maybe a bit less than battery voltage, but not much. And these LEDs are very bright up there. So we may have to drop them down a bit.

At least on Dads truck it’ll be down next to the wiper knob, so it won’t be in your face. Don’t know where Steve will put it on the Feep.

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Just want you guys to know that I am still following along! Although I am kinda at a standstill right now. But I am super excited about this lockout button light! Thanks to Gary for making the proof of concept and sharing with me. And thanks to Bill for the great harnesses!
I plan to put the switch on the lower dash by the steering column. There is a small panel there that has the rear wiper and defrost controls that should work well. So, not in my direct line of sight. But I will try to match the other dash light levels. Should be no problem with the right resistor!
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It was fun to figure it out and make it work.  But you'll either have to come to church on Sunday or come to the shop to get your LEDs.

And it sounds like you are placing your switch in about the same spot I'm placing mine.  Should make it easier to get an acceptable light level.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by FoxFord33
Steve, I dug my old iPhone 5S out to set up for a borescope I have and want to get some pictures inside the water jacket on a 2.5L Chrysler short block. I found these pictures on it. You have the updated harness, but here is what you will be getting. I have to go over to Newport News sometime this week to deliver an arcade game for Donnie Medlin's 10 year old granddaughter. If you have gotten set up on shipping this is what you will be getting:

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile