E-Brake Dash Light Not Working

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

E-Brake Dash Light Not Working

Powerman5K
I just replaced all my instrument cluster lights with LED's. I am able to get them all working but the E-Brake light. I have tried reversing the bulb polarity but it is still not lighting up when the E-brake is engaged. Where is my next point to check? Is there a fuse to it that could be blown? Sensor on the pedal/arm?
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: E-Brake Dash Light Not Working

ratdude747
Probably a corroded switch or disconnected wire. It'd be on the pedal assembly... shorts to ground. It also goes to a switch on your proportioning valve.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Thanks! I'll look into this this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by ratdude747

Alright, I'm digging into this parking brake issue this weekend and here is where I'm at. I was able locate/spray the connection on the proportioning valve with contact cleaner. Now when I start the truck, the parking brake light comes on for a couple seconds then shuts off. Where is my next move? Does the connection look OK? I can't find a ground wire to the frame anywhere. Nor can I find any type of wiring or switch on the parking brake pedal assembly.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Well that is not the Ebrake switch but a low PSI of the normal brake system.
If there is a leak, broken brake line, a valve moves inside that brass part and turns on the dash light telling something is wrong ......... like the brake pedal going almost to the floor was not a clue!

Now to see if the light works when you first turn on the key the dash lights should lite up if good as a test of the bulbs. Same for the fasten seat belt light.

I think you can short the 2 wires and it should turn on the dash light / wiring.
Mine only has 1 wire and I go to ground to test the light / wiring.

The Ebrake did not have a light on the early 80's at least not my 81's
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Dave is correct.  80, 81 82 & most 83 did not have the switch on the e-brake and wiring to light the dash indicator.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
Well that is not the Ebrake switch but a low PSI of the normal brake system.
If there is a leak, broken brake line, a valve moves inside that brass part and turns on the dash light telling something is wrong ......... like the brake pedal going almost to the floor was not a clue!

Now to see if the light works when you first turn on the key the dash lights should lite up if good as a test of the bulbs. Same for the fasten seat belt light.

I think you can short the 2 wires and it should turn on the dash light / wiring.
Mine only has 1 wire and I go to ground to test the light / wiring.

The Ebrake did not have a light on the early 80's at least not my 81's
Dave ----
With a properly functional proportionating valve your pedal shouldnt go to the floor with a brake failure.  The purpose of the valve is when one circuit ie front or rear develops a leak the valve will be forced to the side with less pressure cutting the fluid off to the rest of the system and maintaining proper pedal pressure on the master cylinder side.  If your valve is not functioning correctly then you would have a pedal going towards the floor as that circuit is not building pressure but is simply dumping the pressure through the leak.

It is a big reason why I am hunting down for a NOS unit to replace mine on my truck as there is no way to test them if they are functioning properly or not plus I tried to take the switch out on mine to replace it with a new one I think the switch is bad as my dash light doesnt light up either but the switch broke off in the valve and if I pull it off the truck to try and get the broken plastic out I might as well just replace it.

As far as the lighting up with the key on I dont believe mine does, only one that lights up while the buzzer is going when the key turns on is the fasten seat belt light.  I honestly dont believe I ever seen a brake light on our year model trucks light up as a test with the key turned on.  I dont think it even does it on my '78 Mercury either.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't remember when the park brake switch was added, but I think it was '84.  Prior to that there was no indication that it was on so you wanted to put it ON so the truck not moving was the clue.

As for indication that the bulb is working, that comes as you turn the key to Start.  You can see that in the schematic below from the '85 EVTM, and that function was in all years.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Ok. Sounds like mine is functioning properly then. It turns on with the key but then goes out. I have never had a buzzer with the key. Should I? Where do I chase that down?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Buzzers changed by the year, and as they were added ones like headlights-on were an option.  In '81, which is the closest EVTM I have on the site to your '80 truck, the only buzzer was for the seatbelt.  So I think that's the only one your truck should have.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Or, you can do what I did and upgrade to a newer master cylinder with a float and reed switch, and wire that switch in parallel with the proportioning valve switch:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Master-Cylinder-Upgrade-Part-Numbers-tp120071p120422.html

I had a leak before the proportioning valve (crossthreaded/malfunctioning master cylinder connection) and it caught it. Go figure.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I don't remember when the park brake switch was added, but I think it was '84.  Prior to that there was no indication that it was on so you wanted to put it ON so the truck not moving was the clue.

As for indication that the bulb is working, that comes as you turn the key to Start.  You can see that in the schematic below from the '85 EVTM, and that function was in all years.

Looking at the wiring diagram you posted I just cant see how the buzzer is turning the brake light indicator on.

#3 on the timer that goes to the fasten seatbelt light is providing power to the fasten seatbelt light which then goes straight to ground.  It is pulsing the positive side to illuminate a already grounded bulb.

On the brake warning indicator you have C208 which is ignition hot through a fuse in the fuse box which piggy bags off that terminal to #4 on the timer to provide key hot power to the buzzer/timer.  The other wire on C208 at the bulb goes to the dual brake warning switch which goes straight to ground with the switch breaking the circuit.

How exactly does the timer on this schematic provide a ground for the brake warning light to illuminate it?  The brake warning light only comes on when it is given a ground while the seat belt light is constantly grounded and is provided power through the timer?
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by ratdude747
ratdude747 wrote
Or, you can do what I did and upgrade to a newer master cylinder with a float and reed switch, and wire that switch in parallel with the proportioning valve switch:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Master-Cylinder-Upgrade-Part-Numbers-tp120071p120422.html

I had a leak before the proportioning valve (crossthreaded/malfunctioning master cylinder connection) and it caught it. Go figure.
I thought of doing that upgrade just for the cleaner look of it and the ability to check brake fluid level without popping the cap off.  I just would have to verify the brake warning circuit is functional on my truck before I could do that upgrade with the low level float.  The ones Ive seen are a two wire design and all I would have to do is splice into the key hot side on one wire and run the other wire directly to ground so the float grounds the key hot wire no different than the warning switch on the proportioning valve.

For me its something that is low on my list as I never had it hooked up and drove my truck daily.  The brakes were just something that always worked and never gave an issue.  But now after sitting this long I will have to replace wheel cylinders, calipers, bleed the system out.  maybe even replace the master cylinder but as far as I know its original to the truck and I am afraid a new one might give me the squishy brakes that I see on so many trucks that mine doesnt have.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The timer doesn't have anything to do with the brake warning light.  But the ignition switch has a contact that grounds in Start and lights the light via Ckt 977 and the Dual Brake Warning Switch.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Then in that case it only illuminates when the key is turned to the start position and not when the key is turned on which is how the seat belt light illuminates.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
That would make sense then why mine doesnt light up seeing as the switch is broken off and the connector is not plugged into anything.  For the check to function the two wires would have to be jumpered together for the key to provide the ground for the hot wire to illuminate the bulb as a check when cranking.

Now I am tempted to see if I can get a torqs bit jammed into the plastic threaded base to unscrew it on mine when the engine is out so I can put a new switch in and see if that solves the issue I have with questioning if the circuit is functional in the first place.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rusty_S85 wrote
That would make sense then why mine doesnt light up seeing as the switch is broken off and the connector is not plugged into anything.  For the check to function the two wires would have to be jumpered together for the key to provide the ground for the hot wire to illuminate the bulb as a check when cranking.

Now I am tempted to see if I can get a torqs bit jammed into the plastic threaded base to unscrew it on mine when the engine is out so I can put a new switch in and see if that solves the issue I have with questioning if the circuit is functional in the first place.
Larry - Didn't you put a new switch in the brake warning switch?

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I added the the new switch in parallel with the proportioning valve switch.

That circuit in effect has four contacts in parallel on my truck:

-A contact of the START position of the ignition switch (lamp test)
-The E-brake switch (which the OP doesn't have)
-The proportioning valve switch
-The Master Cylinder switch (which I added)

However, upon further review, the way that's done is a bit "unusual":

As the igintion switch contact runs through the shorted portion of the proportioning valve switch (the actual switching element shorts to ground); with the switch unplugged, the ignition lamp test will fail. Similar to the "newer" master cylinder switch, which (in it's intended application) has two of three contacts shorted together to do the same thing, only as an input to the ABS module, not as part of the ignition lamp test.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Larry. I understand.