classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Duraspark II

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Can't you just plug the EGR hole, and keep the spacer you have?

I've never seen that manifold, but I'm not a 300 owner.
Are you sure it's not for the smaller car engine?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
I'm not going to omit the EGR, figure it's probably better to leave it be after seeing y'all's posts on it. I found this when I was entertaining the idea of omitting it. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen that manifold before.
1986 Ford F150 XLT 4X4. 300 I6 w/ 4 speed manual.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think I've seen pics of that manifold before, but I'll let the 300 six gurus chime in.  However, I can't find it in the MPC nor the crossreference.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
The earlier [pre EGR] manifolds did not have the hole. On the later ones, it has been reported by more than one that a freeze plug type of small plug [brass?] is available in the plumbing section of Lowes or Home Depot, which fits the opening.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by emunder
Why do you want to keep the EGR valve if you are getting rid of all of the other emissions?  The thermostatic air cleaner, PCV valve, and evaporative emissions system are the only emissions components I would keep.  

Prior to the 1970s, no vehicles had EGR and they ran fine.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
@ Lariat85

Honestly I am looking for advice on this. Some folks say to keep the EGR & others say take it out all together. After reading this thread I was going to:

1) Install the DS2 system.
2. Go with a 1983 style distributor with the vacuum advance like the Spectra Premium FD11.
3. Canister type coil.
4. Non-feedback single bbl carb with electric choke for 1983 model truck.
5. Utilize the stock intake & exhaust manifolds & leave the EGR system in place.
6. Remove the smog pump & cat. Then just run a single pipe out the back with a muffler.

I guess if removing the EGR all together is the better way to go I can just get a later non-EGR carb & matching year distributor (if need be) and then block it all off at the manifolds. Seems easier to just leave it in place.

Opinions?
1986 Ford F150 XLT 4X4. 300 I6 w/ 4 speed manual.