Drive shaft support bearing preload

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Drive shaft support bearing preload

CRittaler
This is probably a silly question, but I have tried searching and haven't found an answer.

I need to replace my transfer case output seal which means I need to pull the drive shaft.

Does the support bearing require any sort of preload when I reinstall?

A BMW I used to own required preload of the support bearing and it was defined in the manual. I haven't been able to find a spec so I wanted to see if there is one at all.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Drive shaft support bearing preload

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - I don't think so, but it doesn't look like I have the bit of the factory service manual posted that would cover that.  So when I get to the shop in a bit I'll look and see what it says.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was wrong - the factory shop manual section actually is on the site.  Go to Documentation/Driveline/Driveshafts and then in this case the Single Cardan R&R tab.  Page 5 has a section called DRIVESHAFT/COUPLING SHAFT (ALL EXCEPT ONE PIECE DRIVESHAFT MODELS) and that includes the removal and installation of the center carrier bearing.  And Page 7 has the torque spec's.  But you'll find that there's no discussion of pre-load.  Just bolt it on.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
Thanks Gary!  I knew it would be somewhere I just wasn't able to find it.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project