Dragging/Binding Starter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dragging/Binding Starter

ratdude747
Don't know. But I have read of the spades corroding and ripping in half when people try to remove them. By using a ring there's one less connection to fail if the spade tab is nutted.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
A lot of starters stop working because that connector gets so corroded.
But the stud/nut isn't covered in a plastic housing. I think it gets a chance to dry out, so stay submerged in salty water.

That connector was the subject of a "no crank" TSB back in the '90's.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
I just finished upgrading Lucille to the later model Ford PMGR starter (part number E9SZ-11002-BRM/SA769ARM) .  I like the fact that the PMGR starter is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the original starter.  It was easier to handle, and there is more airflow between the new starter and my headers.  I also picked up this OEM Ford starter shield (part number F4TZ-11006-A) to further protect it from the heat:

So what's not to like?  The sound of it.  Although it cranks the engine much faster, it sounds *weird* to me.  Like a jet engine starting up or something.  I think I prefer the sound of the older starter better.  Maybe I will get used to it.  
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Great! Good job!

It’s funny, I never thought much of the sound. My F250 has the old style, my Bronco has the PMGR.

I’m sure now I’ll hear it!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn't realize there was a factory shield.  Good idea to go with it.

As for the sound, I had a MOPAR in my early days and got used to their weird starter sounds, so the PMGR sound doesn't bother me.  I'll trade it for the faster cranking any day.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Regarding the sound, I've brought that up a few times since changing over to the new PMGR starter. For me, it's not a matter of disliking the sound, rather it's more in the way of change. I've owned this truck since new and I know exactly how things should sound. Got a similar experience when I upgraded to the Saginaw power steering pump too. No more growl. Weird.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Mopar's always sounded like a whine or a cry to me. I had a few slant sixes in my younger days
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Yep. First thing that came out my mouth when I made the swap was "sounds like my Ranger" (which has a stock PMGR). But you get used to it.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
For me, it's not a matter of disliking the sound, rather it's more in the way of change. I've owned this truck since new and I know exactly how things should sound.
That's fair.  And those are my thoughts exactly.

Lucille has been in my family since 1993, and I have been listening to the sound of the stock starter for almost 30 years(!)  That sound is familiar to me, and familiarity always been the charm of this old Ford.  Before, it sounded like an old Ford starting up.  Now, it sounds like a UPS truck starting up.  It would really sound out of place in a car.

I will give it some time.  Perhaps I will get used to the new sound.  After all, there are many more benefits to the PMGR starter.

Besides, I would rather hear the rapid machine-whine of the PMGR starter than the depressing sound of my stock starter dragging when the engine is heat soaked.

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
Mopar's always sounded like a whine or a cry to me. I had a few slant sixes in my younger days
What's not to like about the Mopar's starter sound
It is so good ZZ Top used it at the beginning of one song
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
LARIAT 85 wrote
I just finished upgrading Lucille to the later model Ford PMGR starter (part number E9SZ-11002-BRM/SA769ARM) .  I like the fact that the PMGR starter is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the original starter.  It was easier to handle, and there is more airflow between the new starter and my headers.  I also picked up this OEM Ford starter shield (part number F4TZ-11006-A) to further protect it from the heat:

So what's not to like?  The sound of it.  Although it cranks the engine much faster, it sounds *weird* to me.  Like a jet engine starting up or something.  I think I prefer the sound of the older starter better.  Maybe I will get used to it.
Very cool, thanks for sharing this Rick. I am installing a PMGR starter on the 5.0 in my '52 pickup, and I can use this shield also.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Anyone have a picture as to how that wraps the starter?  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Machspeed wrote
Anyone have a picture as to how that wraps the starter?
It clips onto a lip on the top of the starter and slides down to a stop at the end of the assembly.  It's a piece of hard plastic that seems to provide most of the protection to the solenoid.

Sorry, I should have taken a picture.