classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Double-Groove/Sheave Alternator Pulley

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My FB friend Trent Alexander has purchased some medium-duty parts and found that a 3G alternator for a 1994 F700 w/a 7.0L engine will have a double-groove/sheave pulley and both are the same size.

The ID # on the pulley is F1HU-AB, which is shorthand for F1HU 10A352-AB and that crossref's to F1HZ 10344-A as a part #.  And he sent these pics:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Double-Groove/Sheave Alternator Pulley

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Interesting, it has the 7" ears and is rated at 115A.

429's in the medium trucks have a very long crank snout so I'd do some checking on the amount of offset between boss and pulley sheave before I dropped nearly twice as much on one.

Or are you just suggesting F1HZ-10344-A as a part number for the pulley?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, and yes.  Yes that's the part number of the pulley according to Ford's cross reference book.

And yes the 429 has a long and strange snout as well as flywheel flange.  Trent is wanting to use the Eaton tranny that he got with it but has discovered that it requires that crank, which means the other end will have the one-piece balancer/pulley combo.

He's asked me questions about how to sort through all of this and I've suggested he join here and ask questions.  I don't know but others may.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, I imagine that you could get that pulley through WAI or one of the other companies that supply alternator parts.
(I'm not suggesting the company that owns the url 'alternatorparts.com')

Now the other piece of the puzzle is a crank pulley....  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Interesting, shame that I doubt it would work on my conversion thankfully I can do my mocking up while on the engine stand to make life easier on me.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Now the other piece of the puzzle is a crank pulley....  

Yeah,
I pulled the crank pulley off a fully accessorized 302 thinking that I might use it someday on my 351 for a 3G swap. Wasn't until after I got it off and had a closer look that I noticed that while it has double grooves of the same diameter, one groove is narrower than the other... So I guess that's not going to work with the double alternator pulley?
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I can't say for sure.
If one groove of the crank pulley takes a narrower belt maybe you can use an alternator pulley that has one narrower groove used to drive the A.I.R. pump(s)?

Finding two belts of different widths that will tension the same might prove impossible.
IDK...

I use one belt and just enjoy that my system charges quite well at idle.
I haven't yet applied enough load that I get belt slip, but I don't have a winch or anything like that.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I can't say for sure.
If one groove of the crank pulley takes a narrower belt maybe you can use an alternator pulley that has one narrower groove used to drive the A.I.R. pump(s)?

Finding two belts of different widths that will tension the same might prove impossible.
IDK...

I use one belt and just enjoy that my system charges quite well at idle.
I haven't yet applied enough load that I get belt slip, but I don't have a winch or anything like that.
If someone can run dual V belts I say more power to them.  I know I cant as I will have to lose my A/C if I run a second belt to the alternator.

But that will still be the biggest problem is trying to find a matched set so one belt doesnt try to spin faster than the other.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rusty_S85 wrote
If someone can run dual V belts I say more power to them.
Well said!