Doors swap

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Doors swap

old yeller
Hello everone, Hope y'all are having a good evening. I have one simple question.
I am about to buy a 85 f250 custom as a donor for my 80 f150 custom.
To me they look alike and i am assuming all the cab parts ( sheet metal)are interchangable.
 I need the Doors, I know the inner door locks are different, and i plan on using fenders, hood,
complete grill. Basically the front clip.
Am I correct or am I wrong.
Any input is well come.
 Thanks Clayton

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Doors swap

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, you are right.  The door locks and some of the wiring are the main differences, but the frame is also heavier on the 250.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

old yeller
In reply to this post by old yeller
OK, neither have electric windows or locks.
 Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the one thing that will be different on the locks. the doors with the panel mounted slide lock does not have the button hole drilled in it but the later years will. using the latter will just mean you will need to get the correct color panels for your truck but for the later year door. another possible is the door hinge. the earlier had an "S" spring to hold the detent wheel, where the newer trucks had a leaf spring against a roller. the newer hinge design is better but that may be just my opinion. I have seen both spring styles break. any body got a few s springs layin around?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by old yeller
Your '80 should have Ford lettering on the hood and the '85 will have the famous blue oval emblem in the centre of the grille.
Many 'purists' wouldn't care for that but I say it's your truck, enjoy it as you will!  

Slide v/s pin locks on the door cards are functionally the same.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.