Assigned: Gary Lewis at priority
(Normal)
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Door window rail seal

El Chapo
Replacing the glass on both the passenger and driver side, I was able to pry off the rail off the bottom of each window using my heat gun and elbow grease. My question is what do I use to attach the windows back onto the railing? Looks like some type of rubber seal. Is there an adhesive that would work. I’m also replacing the vent windows soon and looks like they are set up in the same way. Ps: need a recommendation for the purchase of the rear window I looked on line but shipping is a killer.
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Door window rail seal

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I recently checked for someone else and a glass company said they just push the new glass back into the channel.  But if that isn't holding then I'd think this butyl adhesive that is used to glue windshields to the vehicle would work.

But I'm not good with chemistry so am going to tag Jim and see what he thinks.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Butyl is very outdated. It smells and takes forever to cure.

If I were going to bond a side window back into the track I think I'd use something like 3M Window Weld or their Auto Glass Urethane adhesive that comes in a caulk gun tube (around 10oz.)
And id probably do it in place to be absolutely sure that it lines up and closes all the way.

Other manufacturers/distributors sell about the same thing, so you might also have luck with C R Laurence or Henkel brands.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by El Chapo
Item # 8, page 55 LMC catalog seems to be what you need. I didn’t see any seal for vent window frame.  When I did VWS, they sell a flat thin rubber seal for vent windows, you can source it there.  I built a jig of wood to install the glass. You need some 2x4’s and plywood, 1/2, 3/4. don’t matter, some screws and or nails plus a pipe clamp. Also plenty of silicone spray. You need to know where the frame fits on the glass before you start.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Crude drawing
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Awesome …that’s ingenious of you. I’ll give that a try I have a roll of neoprene that I think will work. Thank you!
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Thanks for the kind words, I added some other points that I forgot, it’s been awhile. I’m sure it can be improved but it worked for me. It’s very important that you keep equal pressure on the glass, the wood against the glass must fit the glass and use cardboard or the seal material you have as a cushion, good you can use the Idea.