Door panel - bright trim moulding question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Door panel - bright trim moulding question

delco1946
I was able to locate a warehouse with a NOS door panel. Just one (passenger). They say that it is for a vertical locking (power locks not the horizontal slide) nutmeg without wood grain. Perfect.

They also say it is not for/does not have the bright moudling.

My truck has bright moulding and in my mind, as long as the moulding indentation is present I could simply install my moulding on said NOS part. The guy I spoke with said that's not how it works but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. Is it possible? I googled pics and the door panels I see that don't have bright moulding do appear to have the indentation for said moulding.......but considering this panel would cost $150 dollars I don't want to order it and find out this won't work.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Door panel - bright trim moulding question

delco1946
And perhaps another question is what would the part number be for a panel with the bright moulding? The catalog part numbers all say "w/o woodgrain paneling" and "w/o bright moulding", so either I am right in thinking that I could get the basic door and add the bright moulding or else there must be other catalog pages with entirely different parts numbers for panels "w/ bright moulding".
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The bright trim goes on over the indentation in the door panel and has a series of tabs and studs that go through holes in the door panel.

It looks like at one time Ford offered panels with the holes/slots already in them as the 1980 entry for Broncos shows a place for them.  But the black star (of death) means they are no longer available, and there's no part number shown either.  And, none of the other years for the Bronco and no years for the F-Series have them shown in the catalog.

My new door panels that came in a Ford box didn't have the holes or slots.  But they could be put in fairly easily by using your old door panel as a template.  I chose not to as I like them w/o, but that's personal taste.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
So you're confirming my thinking that there is no reason why this shouldn't work? That's what I was hoping at least - I would just need to (carefully) punch holes in the door panel....I might risk it as I called several places and have been looking a several warehouses/databases and this color seems rare as hens teeth!

They did have a drivers side door but unfortunately it uses the horizontal slide and therefore has that associated hole
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'm confirming it.  You can cut/drill the holes to install the bright trim.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
By the way, you could buy the SEM paint and paint two door panels to match and not buy the NOS one.  Or, buy any colored NOS panels.

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
You bring up a good point, and I have been a bit torn on the subject. I've heard a good reason for not going with a different color plastic base but that still leaves the option to paint my existing panels, which is a skill I could use on any/all other interior plastic pieces as needed (especially considering how uncommon my color is).

However, i'm not super confident how good that will look after sanding of the upper layers of my doors, which are UV rotted and scratch easily with even a finger nail. I'd have to go deep enough to hit good solid plastic and then re-texture it.

I will add that I can be a bit OCD, a perfectionist, and would derive an extreme sense of pleasure knowing my panels are original and near mint, so that is partly driving my insanity
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If yours are that badly bitten by UV then it would be a lot of work to bring them back to a semblance of new, and you'll probably never get back to "new".  So NOS or thereabouts would be a better choice - especially for you.  

However, the SEM stuff covers extremely well.  I painted black door panels as well as blue other panels and you cannot see any difference in the colors of the finished product.  So you don't have to find good/new/NOS panels in your color.

Having said that, panels that are the right color originally will always be better than ones that have a different base color.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I found "this" and thought it might help in understanding how the door panels can be modified:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4cmXhrYqad5QjhiX29Kd0dLZDA/preview
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, David.