Door noise/knocking sound

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Door noise/knocking sound

Lima Delta
I'm having a heck of a time isolating the cause of a really irritating sort of knocking sound coming from the driver's side door. It's comes on when I'm travelling over bumps in the road and seems to be coming from the area around the window crank but I can't be sure...
I've had the trim panel off for weeks now, trying to use my hand to put a finger on the cause while driving - No luck yet.
I replaced the window regulator with another used one from one a donor truck last week. Seemed to make a difference at first, but back to the knocking again now. Maybe not quite as bad.

Are there any well known causes for a sound like this?
What about these regulators... Both units were fairly loose at the pin to the mounting bracket. How much play should there be in the mechanism?
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Door noise/knocking sound

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A very common noise comes from a lack of the plastic on the striker bolt. Do you have plastic on yours?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
A very common noise comes from a lack of the plastic on the striker bolt. Do you have plastic on yours?
Even if the plastic sleeve is still intact but worn down the door will rattle. I had this issue with the passenger door on my '84. I put a few wraps of electrical tape around it as a test and the knocking sound went away. I later installed new strikers, but the black tape worked for a long time.

Wanna cure a loose door on a Bullnose???....install new door seals lol. I can provide a 100% guarantee that a door will cease to rattle after new door seals are installed...that is if you can even get it closed in the first place lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, it was the first thing I looked at. But now Cory has me thinking I'll try wrapping some e-tape on there just to see what happens. Thanks Cory!
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Lima Delta wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, it was the first thing I looked at. But now Cory has me thinking I'll try wrapping some e-tape on there just to see what happens. Thanks Cory!
That plastic sleeves on the strikers usually decay and crack and break off/fall off. Sometimes though, they actually stay intact and just wear down and end up with a groove worn in the middle. That's what mine did at least.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Lima Delta
What mirrors dose the truck sport?

There is a metal tap? that runs from the inner panel to the outer door skin.
This tab is by the vent window down post IIRC
This tab supports the outer door skin because of the heavy mirrors.
With out this tab the outer skin will flex and crack.
It could be this tab is broken but has not cracked the skin yet and when you hit bumps it is flexing and making noise.

Also the vent window post has a bolt to then inner panel to support it.
If this bolt is loose or the tab on the post broke loose this could be making noise.
Also check this bolt washer that it has not cut the panel where it is bolted to.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Ok, thanks Dave. I haven't tried Cory's tape idea yet, but if that doesn't work at least I'll have somewhere to look. This noise sure seems like it's coming from the area of the door you're describing but it's hard to tell for sure while driving. Whatever it is it sure is irritating.
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
One temp approach is to raise the striker bolt slightly so that it picks the door up a bit when closing.  If it is rattling at the striker bolt that will reduce the noise a bit and show you that's where the noise is coming from.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
In reply to this post by Lima Delta
Lima Delta wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
I installed mine when I hung my doors a month or more ago….I can now close them easier but easier means a firm shutting of the door, and that means just shy of slam.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)