Doing an 86 power window swap tomorrow

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Doing an 86 power window swap tomorrow

RenoHuskerDu
2nd son came home from work, tired, thought the Bully was in gear but it wasn't. Rolled backwards and cleaned off the driver door on a post. No fender damage, some bending of hinge mounts which we can surely dress with gentle hammer massage. Some pics below, threatening sky too. Got the door off, tarped a bit due to incoming rain tonight, Texas gully washer, pulled him under the carport too.

We have an 86 XLT Lariat parts truck that has the same color interior in xlnt shape, but crank windows.  I'm presupposing that we'll have no trouble moving over the power windows from the damaged door to the  parts truck door.

Anybody BTDT?  We'll find out tomorrow.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Doing an 86 power window swap tomorrow

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, the door innards will swap manual to power or power to manual.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  But Bill is right, it'll all swap.  You'll just need to drill out the pop rivets used to install the window hardware and install 1/4-20 bolts, or more pop rivets, to secure the stuff going back on.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
If you do the bolts dont forget to use nylock nuts but its all strait forward. Crap happens fast but accidents are just in interuption in your plans . Carry on๐Ÿ˜œ!
Reply | Threaded
|

Camo time !!

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well the job took a little over day, mostly because I had to search all over for 1/4" thick rivets. Harbor Freight finally had some, the hardware stores all only went up to 3/16s. Today we finished up and put the damaged door on the black parts truck to protect its sweeeeet XLT Lariat interior.

But now tan/brown Puddles has a black driver door, and we look like Jed Clampet. This morning as I was sorta awake, sorta not, I had an idea.  The tan/brown 2-tone Bully color scheme sure looks like two of the colors in desert camo, eh?  What if we sourced a few rattle cans of good paint in those two colors, plus one more that's mil OD?

We could camo this bad boy with 3 colors of flat paint.  My neighbor did his Taco that way, with a bench seat welded in way up high in the bed and a rifle rest too. It's a camo hunting rig that Jed would kill for.  Now I'm not going to turn Puddles with his loud IDI into a hunting truck, but camo, heck that would be cool.

Seems that every time I find a decent parts truck candidate in that color scheme, it's rusted badly in the bed. My eldest daughter did in the forward left side of the bed - just missed the cab - when Miss Math Major forgot about the laws of physics and tried to occupy a space that already contained a very solid cattle guard. The bed lost.  We pulled it out as possible but it still looks goofy. Camo would help hide that too.

Anybody here have a camo'd rig?  Given our uncertain future, being less detectable could be an asset.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Camo time !!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not done any rattle-can painting on one of these trucks, but you might want to read a bit in this thread about the # of cans it took.

But, it would hide a lot of "issues".  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Cammo?.. not cool. You have great potential to make this fantastic head turner...Original style.. 
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Yeah, rattle cans add up quick!!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by reamer
reamer wrote
Cammo?.. not cool. You have great potential to make this fantastic head turner...Original style..
This particular truck, Puddles, would take a lot of spendy body TLC to get him into a head turner.  He looks good from a distance, but up close you see quite a few battle scars. The PO was a heavy equipment mechanic, not given to detail work, a little heavy handed. His hands were like baseball gloves, huge and leathery. It looks like a light FEL kissed a front fender all the way back to halfway down one door. Our eldest daughter did the aforementioned cattle guard trick to the bed just behind the cab. And back when we had that bad spate of brake responsiveness issues, one of our boys bumped the Bull nose into a tree in the church parking lot.  

The interior is also rather rough, cracked dash and beat door panels, but we are slowly replacing those with a very nice XLT Lariat parts truck from WA, where the sun is not so fierce. Carpet has some welding damage from, again, heavy-handed work to install the Bronco buckets that were in there when we got him. They cracked the floorpan.

On the other hand, this truck Redhead I bought for parts, but after inspection we decided to put him into shape. He's a much better candidate for a beautiful Bully. The 6.9 IH motor still has the original grey paint on it! So I think the 85k on the odometer is accurate. He sat in a farmer's field for a decade or more, has a little rust in the pan, but the 6.9 fired up quickly after we tow started him for about 50'

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i love the red truck. one of those is on my wish list.   been building street trucks for a while and its time to build an overlander.