Does anybody else build models of their full size vehicles?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Does anybody else build models of their full size vehicles?

Pete Whitstone
(Gary, if this is too off-topic feel free to move or remove)

Whenever I have a vehicle that I care about (as opposed to an appliance to get from A to B), I try to see if there is a model kit out there for it. It turns out there is a Revell model kit that is pretty close to my truck, so I bought it and tried to build it to look like the big truck, shown here.

Kind of a crappy picture as far as lighting goes, but you get the idea. Lotta Texas patina.

So I just finished the little version, here it is.

Anybody else build little versions of their truck?
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Does anybody else build models of their full size vehicles?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This isn't off-topic.  No problemo.

I used to build models, long long ago.  But didn't realize there are decent ones of Bullnose trucks.  I like it!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Pete Whitstone
I actually have that kit to build a replica of my truck.  I also sourced 1/24 scale KO1 tires since KO2s are not offered

Im also looking at grabbing the Baja Bronco kit to rob the car mirrors out of it to install on mine as my truck doesnt have the dual arm mirrors.  Im also looking at getting the 1991 F350 Dually kit as well to rob the twin I beam front suspension out as this ranger kit is a 4x4 and my truck isnt.  Im also going to cut the inner fenders out of the '91 kit as the Ranger kit has inner fenders from the late 70s and isnt correct either.

I just dont build at this moment as I dont have a proper build area and I lost interest with my #22 Fireball Roberts '57 Fairlane kit I started 3 years ago having to dig my equipment out every time.

But I do have kits of my vehicles where possible or I have kits with resin bodies or seeking out resin bodies to build mine.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
This is the kit if you are interested in getting it.  Just be warned under the hood it has the previous generation design but there is a '91 F350 with a 2wd Twin Ibeam front suspension as well as the correct style inner fenders under the hood.  You can also pick up the late 70s Baja Bronco for the car mirrors if yours has the car mirrors like mine.

The kit comes with chrome wagon wheels so for me all Id have to do is primer and paint white then come back and chrome the lug nuts and center caps then install aftermarket chrome beauty rings.

This is the stock photo of the soft rubber KO1 BFG tires I bought they are proper 31x10.50-15 for my build.

Lots of aftermarket parts out there as well.

I bought these to rob the chrome stockers for use on my '63 build for the rear.

I bought this to use on the chrome stockers on the back of my '63 build as well as to use on my Ford Thunderbolt build as well.

I also bought these to throw on the front of my '63 build

I bought these for my two '56 builds as well as my '63 build for the front.

Its been a long time since I built models but when I came back into it I was amazed at the aftermarket offerings and started buying up what I could where I could.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Rusty_S85 wrote
Im also looking at grabbing the Baja Bronco kit to rob the car mirrors out of it to install on mine as my truck doesnt have the dual arm mirrors.  Im also looking at getting the 1991 F350 Dually kit as well to rob the twin I beam front suspension out as this ranger kit is a 4x4 and my truck isnt.  Im also going to cut the inner fenders out of the '91 kit as the Ranger kit has inner fenders from the late 70s and isnt correct either.
Do you subscribe to Motor Trend TV? Steve Magnante has a show called "Super Models" where he does this kind of stuff - mixing and matching parts from different models to create a custom model of a vehicle he had, or maybe some famous vehicle like a Sox & Martin drag car.

Rusty_S85 wrote
I just dont build at this moment as I dont have a proper build area and I lost interest with my #22 Fireball Roberts '57 Fairlane kit I started 3 years ago having to dig my equipment out every time.
I didn't realize anyone made a kit with old Fairlanes. I had a 1958 Fairlane project (full size, obviously) for a number of years, I would have built a kit for it if I had known one was made. Probably hard to adapt the 57's single headlights to a double-headlight 58 look, so the kit would have to be 58-specific.

I sold that car on one of those "reality" TV shows, one called Misfit Garage, which was a spin-off of the Gas Monkey show. Guess that was my 15 minutes of fame! S1E7, 2nd segment.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Jstas
In reply to this post by Pete Whitstone
Do RC trucks count?

1983 Ford F-250 HD "Big Sloppy"
- 2WD, extended cab, long bed
- 4-speed manual T18
- Dana 61, standard 3.73
- 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
I LOVE models.  I have about 200 displayed in the dining room.  And a couple hundrde more scattered through the house.   Even the bathrooms have cars displayed where guys can see them while doing theior business.  Only rooms without models is master bath (wife says NO cars) and "her" kitchen even though I do the cooking.  

I have a 76 F100 built like my father in law's in honor.   Wife was even asking other night if I could get a model of our truck to display with her dad's.   Problem is mine is flareside, dangit.   Would take a couple kits and some serious work to make the flat sides.  But I see Ebay is ready to help me!  lol.

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Pete Whitstone wrote
Rusty_S85 wrote
Do you subscribe to Motor Trend TV? Steve Magnante has a show called "Super Models" where he does this kind of stuff - mixing and matching parts from different models to create a custom model of a vehicle he had, or maybe some famous vehicle like a Sox & Martin drag car.

Rusty_S85 wrote
I didn't realize anyone made a kit with old Fairlanes. I had a 1958 Fairlane project (full size, obviously) for a number of years, I would have built a kit for it if I had known one was made. Probably hard to adapt the 57's single headlights to a double-headlight 58 look, so the kit would have to be 58-specific.

I sold that car on one of those "reality" TV shows, one called Misfit Garage, which was a spin-off of the Gas Monkey show. Guess that was my 15 minutes of fame! S1E7, 2nd segment.
Nope, I really dont watch TV but I do follow like 20 different youtubers that do model building to dioramas.  Kit bashing as its called is quite popular mixing kits together.  For my truck the kit bashing is to get the necessary parts to make it look right like to get the car mirrors I need to get the bronco kit that has them to rob the mirrors off of.  To get the correct 80 under hood fender layout Id have to get the '91 F350 kit to cut the piece off.  Same way to get the 2wd Twin I beam.  The transmission I will buy separate there are guys out there selling resin 3D printed C6 transmissions.

On the '58 Fairlane, Star Models makes a semi resin kit of a '58 Fairlane that is complete except for the axels and its what is known as a curb side model which means no opening hood.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/star-models-1958-ford-fairlane-hardtop--943382

I have a '56 Victoria kit and I sourced two resin Town Sedan bodies so I can build the kit as my Fairlane.  The mold was quite old and the guy who built the mold was able to get me two pulls but I dont have the fender skirts nor the hood but I can source the hood from the kit as its the same.

rcarlisle wrote
I LOVE models.  I have about 200 displayed in the dining room.  And a couple hundrde more scattered through the house.   Even the bathrooms have cars displayed where guys can see them while doing theior business.  Only rooms without models is master bath (wife says NO cars) and "her" kitchen even though I do the cooking.  

I have a 76 F100 built like my father in law's in honor.   Wife was even asking other night if I could get a model of our truck to display with her dad's.   Problem is mine is flareside, dangit.   Would take a couple kits and some serious work to make the flat sides.  But I see Ebay is ready to help me!  lol.
You can build a 76 F100 flareside.

Pick up this kit here which appears to be a rebox of the old '76 truck.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-858-1978-ford-4x4-pickup--261453

Then go over to Fireball models he has a 8ft flare side bed conversion.  Part Number FMR-177.  That appears to be a 70s flare side bed it doesnt state what year it is.
https://fireballmodels.info/

Aside from that I got quite a few kits built but they are old kits most in bad shape due to wear and tear with only a couple being in decent shape for being in a enclosed display case.  But I do want to rebuild all of those with new kits though.  Currently I am expanding my stash with a bunch of different kits from figures to ships to trains to cars.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Rusty_S85 wrote

rcarlisle wrote

You can build a 76 F100 flareside.

Pick up this kit here which appears to be a rebox of the old '76 truck.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-858-1978-ford-4x4-pickup--261453

Then go over to Fireball models he has a 8ft flare side bed conversion.  Part Number FMR-177.  That appears to be a 70s flare side bed it doesnt state what year it is.
https://fireballmodels.info/

Aside from that I got quite a few kits built but they are old kits most in bad shape due to wear and tear with only a couple being in decent shape for being in a enclosed display case.  But I do want to rebuild all of those with new kits though.  Currently I am expanding my stash with a bunch of different kits from figures to ships to trains to cars.
I need an 80.   I have a Motormax diecast 79 and the First Gear 76 diecast.  And I have my terminology mixed up.   STYLESIDE is what I need.  I swear my brain is nothing more than a dusty storage place anymore.  

So I have ordered the revell kit and an extra cab available in ebay.   I *think* I have the F350 duallie at home, if I didn't throw it out yet.  It's falling apart from too many moves.  If I can hack the duallie bed apart and drop in the sides from the extra cab...  It will be a large project, but I'm mapping it out in my mind.  The non duallie would be better but not going to search and destroy a good kit.  And didn't see any built up/junk for sale on ebay.  

Someone on MCM forum sent me a link to these wheels, https://madmodeling.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=dogdishtruck&sid=hy7391ay359am4883510997fe1139855

Those will match close enough.   They also have transmissions and the T56 will be close enough to look like the one in my truck.  THey have a C6 for like $3.95

The junk duallie should have front suspension still as well.   I think that will be close enough...  IF I can get it to look right from a few feet away, I'll be satisfied.  I'm fortunate to have dedicated building area for models in my outbuilding.  I can work a while and leave it til next time.   I have a "go kit" to be able to do stuff in the house too.  

Steve Magnante's stuff is interesting, if not always my thing.  His "funny Car folk art" was just weird.  I can't build like that.   Has to be a little more done.  

Here's the last car I completed:

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I used to build plastic models when I was a teenager, and even belonged to a local plastic modeler's club. The level of detail some of those guys put into their builds was just incredible.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I used to use thread for spark plug wires on my models.  But that was 60 years ago.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
It's crazy now.  There are pre wired distributors now.  With tiny little wire.  Photo etched metal details.  Builders with talent that is just unreal.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
rcarlisle wrote
It's crazy now.  There are pre wired distributors now.  With tiny little wire.  Photo etched metal details.  Builders with talent that is just unreal.
Pricy to in many instances.  I wired my own dist up as well as going the extra step of using correct color wires as well as using correct firing order with Cylinder 1 where it really is on the real distributor cap.

Wires are a bit oversized but most wont notice that.  Only thing I need to do is use some CA glue on the back of the heads to bundle the wires together.  They have wire looms now in scale but I dont think they have a 4 square loom and I only found out about them after I had already installed the wires.

PE is quite nice but 3D resin printing is quickly replacing PE in lots of instances for details.  Like for example these 3D resin printed Cragar SS mags that were chrome plated afterwards.

Like wise 3D resin printing is being used in garage kits as well.  I bought this figure kit from a guy in New York that uses 3D resin printing to create a master which then he casts a mold of then pours the resin kits out of said mold.  Once the mold breaks down he uses the master to cast another mold.

Its why I am waiting for 3D resin printers to come down in price cause they are starting to become popular in the model scene.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I got to a point where I build with what's in the box and what I have on hand.   I bought spools of thin wire from radio shack years ago and have enough spark plug wire to last the rest of my life.  

Good luck getting a 3D printer - I am amazed at the things being made now.   Opens up another dimension of the hobby.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
rcarlisle wrote
I got to a point where I build with what's in the box and what I have on hand.   I bought spools of thin wire from radio shack years ago and have enough spark plug wire to last the rest of my life.  

Good luck getting a 3D printer - I am amazed at the things being made now.   Opens up another dimension of the hobby.
Thats how used to be with just building what is called box stock.  But now I like being able to buy custom parts and really go crazy.  Before now about the only crazy way Ive gone is kit bashing blending pieces from different kits but in my book they are still box stock cause all pieces are kit pieces just not necessarily from the same kit.

Like the 49 Ford business coupe I built, I did her up in a black gloss exterior, tan brown interior, GT steering wheel from another kit where I used the stock steering wheel, chrome exhaust dumps from the same kit as the GT steering wheel, I set the car to the lowered pin on the front and the stock heigth on the rear to get a rake (right way would have been taller tires on back) then I threw under the hood a 460 tripower big block in place of the flathead V8.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Got my kit yesterday and just as I expected, it's a pretty big letdown.   So many things wrong.  Grille is barely acceptable -not shaped correctly in any plane.   Emblems say "CUSTOM F150" when the box says RANGER   Dash is pretty awful too.  Engine compartment is out of the 70s gen truck as noted previously.    Body shape is awkward, but I haven't figured out exactly how it is awkward - something in the shape of the body sides.  They don't roll under correctly or something.  I'll figure that out.  

I can fix some of these items and have and idea on the styleside bed.  We'll see if ideas work out.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
rcarlisle wrote
Got my kit yesterday and just as I expected, it's a pretty big letdown.   So many things wrong.  Grille is barely acceptable -not shaped correctly in any plane.   Emblems say "CUSTOM F150" when the box says RANGER   Dash is pretty awful too.  Engine compartment is out of the 70s gen truck as noted previously.    Body shape is awkward, but I haven't figured out exactly how it is awkward - something in the shape of the body sides.  They don't roll under correctly or something.  I'll figure that out.  

I can fix some of these items and have and idea on the styleside bed.  We'll see if ideas work out.
Yep but its about the closest we have unless someone wants to do 3D prints of the cab and bed or create resin replacement bodies.

For me I was thinking of buyng the 1991 F350 kit and slicing the inner fenders out of it and grafting it onto mine for a more accurate underhood layout.  The hood I will be scraping off the Ford hood lettering as my truck is a '82.  For the grill I will apply a Ford oval decal to a piece of styrene stock and cut it out and CA glue it to the grill itself.  I will also be puttying in the lower indentation in the door for the twin arm mirrors as my truck has the car type mirrors.  For the two tone decal I wont be using it, my truck is dark metallic blue and argent silver two tone.  I am thinking about trying my hand at printing in silver color F150 fender emblems on decal paper.

Only thing I am unsure about is the mods I am making on my truck engine wise.  For example my engine I am building now will have shorty headers and no emission systems.  Like wise will be utilizing a 4150 sniper which I think I can install a aftermarket 4150 style 3D printed carb for that look.  The other aspect I personally am unsure about is the pinstriping.  I am thinking about trying to do the pinstriping by masking the stripes then airbrushing medium blue then applying more masking to airbrush the dark blue.  But I think in scale it would be too small to do properly so I might scan the decal sheet two tone sheets and use the edge as a pattern to make the pin striping then delete everything else but I dont think a run of the mill home inkjet printer could print detail that small in two colors.

Little fyi for anyone that plan on doing inkjet printing of decals on their own, before you use the decal be sure to spray a clear coat over the decal sheet and let fully cure.  This will provide a protective layer for the ink which is simply sitting atop the decal film.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
All good ideas you have.  Good luck with it.   I'm putting all the stuff in a box, a "project box" if you will, so it will all be together when it comes time to start on it in earnest.  I may take photos of my emblems, saddle seat cover, gauges, AC vents, etc.   Print those and apply properly.  I've done that before and it works.  Also gives some dimension.  I cut them carefully and white glue them to surface.
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
rcarlisle wrote
All good ideas you have.  Good luck with it.   I'm putting all the stuff in a box, a "project box" if you will, so it will all be together when it comes time to start on it in earnest.  I may take photos of my emblems, saddle seat cover, gauges, AC vents, etc.   Print those and apply properly.  I've done that before and it works.  Also gives some dimension.  I cut them carefully and white glue them to surface.
Thats what I will be doing.  I got two high dollar plastic totes with the split top that folds open and close with my engine parts.  As I empty them I will be throwing my stash in them for storage till I can get a proper work space setup to actually build them properly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Jstas
I have built/raced RC buggies and trucks my whole life. I still have 6 or so that run and get used regularly as well as a couple of shelf queens.

The one I always wanted was the Tamiya Blackfoot. That was Ford F-150 flare side.

They released an updated/re release version in 2016 and I had to have it. I put in a brushless motor and lipo batteries so it runs for ever! Well, until the dog catches it.

Here is a nifty link to what it looks like, mine is a little more dusty and bruised from constant use. However I have picked up an original decal sheet so looking forward to putting those on, a lot of the licenses expired from 1980ish to 2016.. the new decals did not sit right with me, eBay to the rescue again.

https://www.rctech.net/articles/review/old-or-new-tamiya-blackfoot-2016-reviewed/
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"