classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Do i need a serpentine belt?

Westerj
Hi Gary,

If i switch to a high output alt, would i convert vbelt to serpentine?  

Middle of a real estate shuffle and stork delivery ( grand daughter). Look forward to getting back into f350 project.

John

20201118_213443.jpg (924K) Download Attachment
1986 f350 Ambulance convert
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Do i need a serpentine belt?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm not Gary, but I don't have a problem running my 130A 3G with a V-belt.

I DO have a Load Response Control regulator..
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim's in a much better position to answer your question than I am since, as he said, he's running a v belt on a 3G and I'm not.  And, I fully agree with his recommendation of an LRC regulator.  That's because even with a serpentine (ok, Bill, "polygroove") belt mine still squealed on startup with the "right now" regulator.  But with a 2 second regulator it doesn't make any noise because the load is applied smoothly over that 2 second period.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Mine would squeal the belt on startup and even after getting it tight enough to not squeal, I still found evidence (rubber dust) that it was slipping. I went to a slightly larger pully, problem solved.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That certainly couldn't hurt, Bill!
More friction area and reduced ratio in one swoop.  

Somewhere Gary has a chart with pulley diameters and the alternator rpms you get at a given crank speed.
IIRC, the gas V-8's had one size, diesel another and the 4.9/300 yet another size.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Documentation/Electrical/Alternators and the Output Vs RPM tab.  Scroll down to Pg 4 and following.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
The amount of pulley sizes that Ford used was stupid. Luckily we usually just built cores out of cores but when building one we didnt have, there was a lot of pulley measuring.
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
2004 F350 Crew Cab  -  6.0L/ZF6  -  Bulletproofed, tuned SCT X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Westerj
Thanks Guys!! Think ill leave v belt and car alt
In place.  Will re use cable.. 5/16" lugs
Seem about right. Ordering cole hersee
Isolator sized for bigger alt.thx, and happy
Thanksgiving!!  Now it's time for turkey
Sandwiches!