Assigned: Gary Lewis at priority
(Normal)
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Distributor cap and rotor

rcarlisle
So I didn't notice when we looked at truck and it runs fine.   But this is my cap and rotor.  Try to find this one at your local parts store.  

IMG_20210317_185003995.jpg
IMG_20210317_185031547.jpg

This is some sort of electronic distributor that doesn't seem to be Ford.  

IMG_20210317_185113868.jpg

I did find ATeam Performance to look to be a match.  Ordered from SW Performance.  Ordered 2 just in case.  They are like 19.98 each for a cap and button and free shipping.  How they fit.  But dang it, why can't parts be easy to find?
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Distributor cap and rotor

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know what you have.  But I'll bet Bill/85lebaront2 does, so I'm going to tag him.  He ran a carb and ignition shop for decades and has forgotten more than I'll ever know.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
GM/HEI with external coil?

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
Randy,  does your 302 have a VV carb and a crank sensor?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Haven't really looked at the carb yet other than it is a 2bbl.   Haven't looked for a crank sensor.  

Only male tower cap we found at O'reilly's was for an International 5 liter.  And the button didn't match.

I found this cap just googling and looking at images.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Can you get a picture of the distributor? The EEC-III caps and rotors may have a very strange looking cap with a double ended rotor with one arm lower then the other.

In looking at your thread on the brake booster, if that is indeed your engine, I suspect either someone used a non DS-II cap and rotor or that is an aftermarket (Accell maybe) distributor. The carburetor appears to be a Motorcraft 2150. While I am on this subject, what the PO did with the spark plug wires might look neat, it almost guarantees crossfire as Ford had a specific routing for the 221-302 engines, rather than 5678 routing, it was 7568 through the clips on the valve covers (big blocks such as the FE and 460s go 5768).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Try those image links in my first post - not sure what I did wrong so the photos don't show up.   Cap, rotor, down into distributor.  I have found a cap and button that look right - ordered two.   So hopefully they will work and get here before the cap I have fails completely.  Bad crack in tower 3.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I just right-clicked your pic links and copied the link.  Then clicked Insert Image and pasted the link in, but wiping out the "http" stuff that is already there.  But your pics are too big, meaning over 1MB, for posting full sized.  So I clicked Big Size.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, Gary's redo of the pictures helped, that is not a Ford distributor, the pickup system looks like a GM HEI unit so it is definitely not original. If it still uses the DS-II box then finding a distributor in a junkyard might solve parts sourcing. Is there any kind of label, stamped or a sticker with a name on it?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary, lesson learned hopefully.   I was doing that on my phone at home last night and it's a little different from the PC.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This is the problem with out-of-date, unsupported, aftermarket parts....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Maybe?   Looks like a vacuum advance but no hose out of middle.   Every photo I have so far has some sort of obstruction.   If this new cap and button sets I've ordered work, I should be okay for while.  I'm guessing this odd cap is why they didn't replace it with the wres and plugs.  

Soon we'll have to see if we can figure out what this engine came out of.   The bracketry on front looks different from what I've seen of stock 302s.  THe red cylindrical object on left side is the coil.  And it looks like the one that comes with the A-team performance distributor kit.   IT's a cheap electronic setup, so that may be where someone changed it out.   Lots of good on this truck, but lots of questions too.  

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, I am trying to remember if there was a small cap V8 GM HEI system, as it looks similar to the ones GM used in the early S10 pickups with the 2.8L V6. There wasn't room for the large cap style as the Citation V6 used, so GM used a divorced coil (E-core) and a tall cap as the advance was still up under the rotor. I see a vacuum advance diaphragm barely showing so it is probably some sort of aftermarket replacement.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill, that red coil is definitely cylindrical....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That's a good view of the vacuum advance, hose is on the side, top of the can, which is not Ford, but not abnormal for many others.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
This may be an issue for a long time as more parts are made and sold thru Amazon and ebay.   Parts that have no identifiable history.   And then a vehicle sold to another and another owner.  Kinda like hot rodding and chasing parts you have no idea on.  

but I was able to find what appears to be the replacement parts and I'll have it noted on spreadsheet.   IF this cap works, they have 470 more in stock on website.   So that's a good thing for now.   I'm betting SW PErformance is the importer of these units.   The truck runs great, even with the cracked cap.  But I really want to get new cap and try to keep all the lightning in the cap and wires.  

Anybody here watch Vice Grip Garage on Youtube?  This is his kind of project it would seem.  And kinda my inspiration to buy/build on this truck.  Save it and use it.  MAy never be as nice as what you guys have, but has potential to outlast me.

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
IN this photo on far right bottom are two boxes.  What I've noticed is one is unplugged.  This could be the electronic boxes that need to be identified.   I'll try to get some isolated photos of the ignition components tonight if the weather isn't too bad.   I wish I could get photos of the distributor internals that the cap matches to.  

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Here is what I think it *Might* be.   I'll need to look more closely.   So long as it works (it does so far), I"m happy with it.  

https://swperformanceparts.com/product/r2r6702bl/
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Yep - GM/HEI with external coil. Now that you know what it is and how it differs from stock when looking for parts - if it works, it works
That blue box is similar to add on speed control modules
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Very likely. Probably not a bad upgrade and now maybe you can find a source for cap and rotor.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile