classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Diesel Fuel Sending Units Replacement

6.9-250
This post was updated on .
I need to replace both sending units for my 1985 250 6.9. They both work only in the very full and near empty position.  From what I see online, they do wear out and is likely the cause for me.  

I see trex auto parts (130$ USD shipping to canada though, yikes) and jeffs bronco graveyard sell (getting shipping quote now).

Any recommendations or suggestions for this project?  I live in SK, Canada.

Is there a way to replace/repair just the resistance part of the sender?

Thanks
1985 Ford F-250, 6.9L, Auto C6, 4x4 208F, Extended Cab
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Diesel Fuel Sending Units Replacement

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not found a way to repair just the resistance part of the sender, although that would be good if there was a way.

What I've done is to use Rock Auto's catalog to determine the part number various vendors use for the sending unit and then shop around for someone that has that part at a reasonable price.  And what I've discovered is that Spectra is a reasonable brand and Amazon appears to have them at the cheapest price.

But I don't know how shipping is to Canada, so maybe some of the Canucks can comment.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by 6.9-250
You might ask for a shipping quote from “Just Gas Tanks”. They list them for $74.04 each. I don’t know if they were the same units, but I know someone who bought some for about this price on eBay several years back and had good luck with them.

https://www.justgastanks.com/ford-full-size-pickup-1985-1986-19-gal-diesel-only-front-midship-side-tank/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpImTBhCmARIsAKr58cwh9WeJy0S-3n5R7rfuzaN-pKDe9Re8KhUahI8Le84N7xgzODrVkwUaAlEtEALw_wcB

From the picture it looks like these still require the plastic strainer basket (“shower head”) pickup piece. I wouldn’t re-use your old ones as they notoriously break such that you cannot use the last 1/4 tank of fuel. Either source new ones or replace them with a piece of fuel line with a notch cut in it so it cannot suction to the bottom of your fuel tank.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Decent as in they do something, yes.

But the linearity isn't so great... at least with the gas ones (same electrically as diesel?). Drops fast from full to 1/4, then slow from 1/4 down to E. Pretty sure this has to do with the rotary action of the arm (and the carbon track of the new sender not being sized to compensate for such). Better than the no-name Chinese ones I tried that was an exact clone of the original (with a wire wound track instead of a carbon track) and didn't work at all, but still, not knowing how close to E one actually is annoying (and has led to me pushing my luck too far twice so far over the last couple years I've had the sending unit).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
My aftermarket sender in my (gas) ‘81 has been okay. It does drift a little but usually tends to read slightly pessimistic which keeps me out of trouble 😉. I wonder if Gary’s solid state ICVR upgrade would help with linearity and stability? I am no electrical engineer but I still find it amazing that you can get any kind of accuracy out of the pulsing power lead.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - The answer is jein.  Yes and no.  Stability yes, accuracy no.

What usually happens is that the ICVR changes as it warms up and it provides longer or shorter pulses.  And that changes the gauge readings.

As for accuracy, the only reason the ICVR works is because our gauges are actually thermometers.  There's a heating element right below the thermometer and the heating element is driven by the pulsing voltage.  But the thermometer has thermal mass, as does the heating element, so the gauge cannot react as fast as the voltage is pulsating and it all averages out.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Here is a place that can rebuild yours to new condition. One of our customers had his done on an old Buick and he was very pleased with the outcome.

https://tristarrradiator.com/

They are in New York.
Everyone have a good weekend!
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's great to know, Bruce!  Good senders are hard to find.

Have a good weekend!

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Gary Lewis wrote
That's great to know, Bruce!  Good senders are hard to find.

Have a good weekend!
Yes, we had given up after trying to fix it, and used a later model sender, E now means Full and visa versa. Oh well...
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's a fix for that: Meter Match.

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
The buyer of Poncho Loco, if we ever get past the scammer wave, will benefit from Meter Match.

Thank you.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.