classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Diagnosing Ticking Noise/Part

andrzejski
Hi All -

Apologies in advance for being a bonehead, but I've been googling around and can't quite track down an answer.

Basically my '82 F-150 (4.9l) cut out and stopped running the other night. I thought I was out of gas; however, after refueling I haven't been able to start the truck up again. It turns over fine, but won't fire. A quick spray of starting fluid into the carb will fire the engine.

While trying to diagnose, I realized once the key was turned on there was a ticking noise that started from underneath the filter.

I took off the filter and I believe it's coming from the silver pod that's hanging off of the carb - is that related to the EGR valve? Once I disconnected it, the ticking noise stopped. Could the part be broken? I've attached a picture of the part that I believe is making the noise and also a youtube link illustrating the noise. I hadn't figured out where the noise was coming from when I shot the video, so I apologize for the angle.

https://youtu.be/VGm0aiDkBDY

Thanks for any help in advance!
SF Bay Area
1982 F-150 4.9l 2WD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Diagnosing Ticking Noise/Part

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Before we get into problem solving we need you to do as requested in the email you were sent.  Please go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then start a new topic/thread to introduce yourself.

Why?  Because that is where we keep the guidelines and it is important that you have an opportunity to read them since we hold everyone to them.

So, once you've done that and the intro then we can start the troubleshooting here.  Thanks in advance.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

andrzejski
My apologies! I will do that. Thank you, Gary.
SF Bay Area
1982 F-150 4.9l 2WD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Andrew.

That is a strange noise! I'm going to embed the Youtube video here to make it easier for the folks. (I've ticked the "Message Is In HTML Format" box and am pasting in the "embed code" I got from clicking "Share" on your video.)

The thing in your picture is probably the stepper motor that the computer uses to control the air/fuel mix on your carb. But it shouldn't sound like that. And I don't know why it would be doing that. I'm going to tag Bill/85lebaront2 as he's a guru on carbs and he may know.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Solenoid, not stepper motor.

https://www.carburetor-blog.com/knowledge-base/carter-yfa-1-barrel-carburetor-rebuild
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Alright, I guess i have inserted foot firmly in mouth.  

What I know as the duty cycle solenoid wasn't introduced until later, and for '82 this would be called the idle control stepper.

Anyway, as usual, Mike's has some good tips about these carbs.
I'm linking this exploded view (which explains my confusion on the proper nomenclature)

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I really don't know that much about the YFA's, so didn't know if it was a solenoid or stepper.  Anyway, your question about pump or carb is good.  Perhaps the ticking noise is just a result of not having fuel, and we know the truck will start if it has it.

Andrew - We need to ascertain if the fuel pump is working.  There is probably a steel line going from the carb to the fuel pump, but it is possible that someone replaced it with rubber.  Can you loosen the fitting where the line goes into the carb and crank the engine to see if fuel comes out there?

The best would be to take the line off of the carb and put it in something like a coffee can, but some times with a steel line that is hard to do.  But you don't want fuel going everywhere either.  So if you can't get it into a can then put the fitting on but loosely so it'll leak a bit.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I know it is supposed to cycle like that, but I don't think it should be so loud.
When I have taken these apart before, the seal inside provided a soft seat.
They never clacked like that.

I don't think they are modulating fuel, just air, but I may be wrong.
Bill could probably say for sure.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
It is the mixture control and is a duty cycle solenoid in that it pulses the small valves that control the air bleeds to the idle and main mixture passages. I have never heard one make that much noise, they do "tick" when running. I would first make sure it isn't loose on the bowl cover. If it isn't loose and the crimp on the "can" portion (where that actual solenoid part is) hasn't come loose then I would see about finding a replacement.

Feedback carburetors, with the exception of a few Ford ones used a duty cycle solenoid for mixture control, and a soft ticking noise is the norm for them, in fact if you don't hear it or can at least feel the pulses, there is a problem. Maybe someone on here who has removed the feedback system might have a good used carburetor for parts.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Very odd for an '82 to have that... I thought that was a '84+ thing as part of the EEC-IV & TFI introduction. Unless this is a hack job, they'd have to swap the entire engine harness, including the ECU wiring in the dash. Something doesn't add up here...

---

I only ever hear mine click after turning the engine off.. never before starting.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't miss that he's in California.

Reply | Threaded
|

andrzejski
Thank you everybody for the feedback! This has been extremely helpful in helping me trace down a problem.

This morning I disconnected the metal fuel line from the pump to the filter/carb. I was working solo, so I rubber banded a paper towel over the fuel line and cranked it over a few times. The paper towel was pretty wet, so I think the fuel pump is ok.

I pulled off the filter to replace it; however, when I blew through the filter, it didn't seem clogged.

I'm assuming this means the problem is somewhere in my carburetors, but I'm not sure where to start. Would a sticky bowl not let any gas in? I also think that solenoid/stepper motor is making noise because it's trying to prime the carb but no fuel is coming in.

Thanks again for all the
SF Bay Area
1982 F-150 4.9l 2WD
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's not the job of the solenoid to prime the carb.
The solenoid influences mixture by metering bleed air, like Bill said.

Have you tried filling the float bowl and starting the truck?
(No fuel down the carb)

You are going to have to figure out a way to check volume of the pump output.
That means cranking the pump for 15 seconds while capturing all the fuel from the line in a graduated measuring device (which could be anything from a paint mixing pail to a dollar store protein shake pitcher.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

andrzejski
I wanted to give a quick update:

I am back up and running again! I replaced the fuel filter and verified the fuel pump was working. I was able to get enough starting fluid down the throat to get the truck to catch up and start fueling the carb normally.

I presume my carb is just gummy & an old fuel filter complicated that problem. This leads me to my next question:

Does anyone have a good carb replacement recommendation? I'm ok with either a stock replacement or a holley/edelbrock/etc. if they're that much better. I'd like to keep the budget under $600 if possible for the part, but I know I need one that's CA emissions compliant. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly - I wanted to thank all of you who responded. You all gave me the confidence to dig in. I really appreciate your responses!
SF Bay Area
1982 F-150 4.9l 2WD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good job!  Glad you got it going.  

As for a replacement, several on here have had good luck with a replacement carb described here: New/Repro YF carburetor for the 300 six.  But that is a YF and not a YFA, which should be what you have, and the main difference I believe is the feedback bit.  However, they may have a YFA, so you should browse that thread and follow the links.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary, the difference is actually in the base being cast iron on the YF and aluminum on the YFA. ('A'luminium)

Mike's has a lot of Carter documentation, and could certainly supply a CA compliant carb.
But these things are SO simple it's hard to imagine not rebuilding it yourself -if it isn't completely worn out-

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Thanks, that makes sense.  I know a WCFB is a Will Carter Four Barrel and an AFB is an Aluminum Four Barrel, so I should have twigged to what the A means in YFA.  (Now I wonder what the YF means.  )

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Have your carb rebuilt by a knowledgeable person with the correct kit.  I would not advise on purchasing a reman from Rock Auto.  My experience with that was just terrible!
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain