Decision Time: SAS or TTB Lift

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Decision Time: SAS or TTB Lift

85pig
Getting close to having to make a decision about which way I want to go: lift the TTB, or do a SAS swap on my F150.  I'll preface this by saying that I won't be doing any extreme offroading or rock crawling, mostly just muddy roads to fishing/hunting spots, occasional snow, or playing in some mud or trails.

I see benefits both ways, and it complicates things as I have about 90% of what I need to do an SAS on it.  My biggest issue is the lift; I don't want to go over 4", but I also don't want to cut on the crossmember.  6" should clear the diff, but is higher than I'd like, as well as really needing 35" tires.  Having most of the parts makes the decision hard.  Now, for the TTB: I acquired an extended arm kit that has the drop brackets for the axle housings, and I'd pretty much just need the coil springs to be in business with it (other than new bushings & ball joints).  So I've got most of the parts for both setups, I just need to decide.  I know a few here have swapped to solid, Snowpony plows with his, so his is certainly needed, but for what I'm going to use mine for, I really think the TTB is fine.  But then there's that pile o' SAS parts in the shop, begging for a truck to call home.  With having to move the radius arm brackets either way, the actual job will be pretty similar.  Advice?  
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Decision Time: SAS or TTB Lift

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I really don't have any experience on a half-ton.  But if I had the parts to do a solid axle then I think I'd go that way due to the simplicity.  The coil-sprung TTBs handle and ride fine, but have a lot of moving parts that are hard to replace.

But will the SAS be coil sprung?  I wouldn't want to lose the coils.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
Yes - coil sprung.  I actually have both sets of coil springs (4" and 6") - bought one to go 4", and got the 6" set cheap, so I can do either.  Just don't want to cut the crossmember.  I've read, and read - and read.  So many differing opinions on it, but I have read of crossmembers stress cracking after the hack, so I'd rather avoid that.  I can do the 6" lift, but that's really putting the old beast in the air with 35s.  I can live with it, but I think 4"/33s would be better.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wouldn't want to cut the crossmember either, so I see your concern.

As for tires, I went with 33's on Big Blue.  I think they are a good compromise - big enough to get over most things w/o placing the truck so high that it is even harder to get in.  My wife already complains.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
But will the SAS be coil sprung?  I wouldn't want to lose the coils.
I can testify that coil suspension makes a huge difference and is much more comfortable on bumpy road.
I had the chance having Big Blue giving me a ride (he’s very kind 😉) to compare, and Big Brother’s suspension is much more closer to the old 1880’s wagon one.

But despite its rough ride and brute comfort,  I still love my old wagon.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
In reply to this post by 85pig
My 6" springs came in (for an SAS), and lo and behold, I got 4" springs in a 6" spring box.  Maybe it's a sign.  Pretty sure I'll just do the TTB lift.  For what I'm going to use the truck for, it should handle whatever I throw at it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I had about a 2.5" lift and 33" tires on my '95 F-150, sticking with the TTB.  I thought that was a really good setup.  It rode and handled pretty much like stock, and the lift was a very simple bolt-on.  I'd definitely go that route again.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins