Dead fuel sender

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dead fuel sender

IowaTom
When I replaced my (rear) gas tank on the '85 F150, naturally I also bought a sender on Ebay.  The other day, after firing her up and letting the engine warm a little, I witnessed the gauge needle slowly fall to empty.  Waaah!  I KNOW I'm not using gas that quickly.
Now I wish I'd bought the sender from O'Really's so I could take it back...and the replacement process is not going to be fun.  Last time under there, I dropped the gas tank on my head trying to work it into place.

'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dead fuel sender

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  That rear gas tank is not the easiest to get to, for sure.  Hope you get it replaced easily.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by IowaTom
IowaTom wrote
I KNOW I'm not using gas that quickly.

Our beloved drink a lot  but not that much!
Good luck with that issue.  If your lucky, this could be a simple wiring problem?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
As part of the rebuild I replaced both senders on my truck.
Shortly after being on the road the rear tank sender also stopped working
I run the rear tank dry and then sucked it up and dropped the tank.
Now I did not want OR need to drop it all the way.
I was able to drop it down enough to sneak the sender out.

Once out I found the float took on fuel and sunk to the bottom.
I want to say based on how it was dropping either the wire came off or the float is bad.
My fix was to use the float from the old sender. Yes I still have them and its over 2 years now.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Thanks, Guys!

In the case of a bad float, it could be mine has taken in fuel.  When I took the old one out of the tank I eventually cut up and recycled, the float was gone.  It wasn't in the tank anywhere so I assumed Ford used cork back then and it just crumbled over time.

Think I'll also run this near dry and drop the tank again.  At least it's clean there now.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
unfortunately, we hear of this a lot, and I dealt with it repeatedly on the last truck I built. from bad grounds to miss adjusted float arms. if one can sort all of the quirks out while the bed is still in the rack that would be wonderful! if need be, a simple circuit for an ohm's test would suffice if the rest of the harness is not ready. that won't fix a saturated float though. buoyancy is a must.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Yeah, Mat, I was looking at the 8' bed and wondering if I could somehow slide it off.  Naaah!  To heavy and I'm bound to bend sheet metal doing it.  I'll just driver her around for a while and siphon out the rest of the gas before going through the process again.
Can anyone recommend a good, reliable sending unit that's worked for a long time?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
original! everything else is a "make do"
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by IowaTom
My spectra one hasn't "failed" in the last few years I've had it. But, as I've mentioned elsewhere, my gauge is highly non-linear and as a result I've run out of gas a couple times. the needle falls fast when full but as the tank empties it slows down (1/4 gauge is maybe 1/2 tank or so). When on the E mark, sometimes it'll have 3/8 a tank or more. But if you don't get gas as soon as it starts dropping under, you're likely to run out in an embarrassing location (work lot during shift change and a Wendy's drive thru in my case). Given that I swapped fuel gauges and had no change, I'm fairly confident in saying it's an issue with the sending unit/ stock design.

One thing to note is the spectra units are a newer style design using a carbon track type potentiometer instead of a wirewound potentiometer like the original and many knockoffs use. My stock one failed due to the wire in the potentiometer burning out; a chinese ebay knockoff I tried was dead out of the box.

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
This place can rebuild senders to new status.

https://tristarrradiator.com/
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Bruce moose4x4 wrote
This place can rebuild senders to new status.

https://tristarrradiator.com/

Not at the moment:

"Special Notice, Please Read. As of March 1st, 2022
Due to an excessive amount of backlogged sending units to be rebuilt we are not accepting anymore units as of this time; our current backlog of 16 weeks being the reason for this decision. We are sorry for any inconvience this may cause."
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
I bought another (cheap) one and it didn't work, right out of the box.
Mat's right, time to get one from Ford.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I had the pleasure of dropping a 38 gal super tank this morning because the sender and pump failed. the sender was one of the sloppiest moving that I have seen. having another used but original on the shelf I tested it and swapped it onto the sending unit and tested it multiple times. the circuit looked great  so I used it. nothing fits like oem! not even "same as oem". its ford or its not! but we often are left with what we can acquire. I left the pump swap and reassembly for the junior as I had to return home