Dash Pad

Socnarftrucks
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dash Pad

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That only works if I log into facebook, and many on here don't use it.  Can you tell us what the cost is and something about it?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap

It's a rare find. I detest Facebook but admit I login to it from time to time when searching for parts, it seems to be like a "new eBay" but with all private party sellers often under-pricing items because they don't know their value. (eBay these days seems to be almost all professional sellers.)

So here we have a blue 80-86 dash pad in "very good" condition. I didn't copy all the pics but he shows one small crack and one small burn mark, neither very noticeable. It's HEAVILY Armor-All'd and shinier than a lake on a still day but does look to be well worth it. Given what dash pads in average shape go for on eBay, I'd say $180 is a steal if somebody is in the market...
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  That helps a bunch.  And thank you for sharing it with us.

But the $180 is actually $280 with shipping.  And from the experience of one of us where he found a pristine dash pad in a salvage, carefully removed it,  took it home and supported it well in storage, only to find later that it cracked, this one will too.  If it is already cracking it is dried out and pickling it in Armor All won't keep it from cracking more in future.

To me, used dash pads aren't worth it.  A Coverlay cover is going to set you back 1/2 of what this one will and looks very good.  I'm very pleased with the one I have on Big Blue.  But a new dash pad will cost you twice what this one will, although it isn't likely to crack.  And that's what I'm going to put on Dad's truck.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
New replacement dash pads look to be out of stock everywhere, for more than a year.
I frequently do some web search, even the plain black one seems nowhere to be found.
I don’t trust the dash cover solution.
So I repaired Big Brother’s one (mainly replacing the speaker grill, acceptable clean look), waiting to find a new one someday.
Here are some pics of what I consider “temporary repair”.  To completely hide old CB Radio “footprint”, I would do some putty job which I don’t trust for long term.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
that really is a nice looking compromise. the cb mount footprint would bug me also. mine has a black speaker grille where the original was all broken up. its only an 1/8' thick one that o got at radio shack back in 1991. even though its on a red pad it almost looks as good as some factory dashboards of the past. by now of course more cracks have grown and a new cover is pretty much inevitable.
 I aint gettin rid of bubba! I have spoken, good for me!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
That does look like a major improvement.  

One of our members, Ron Reamer, makes a dash patch for these trucks via 3D printing.  You can see how it fits and looks here.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Wow!  Nice patch!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.