DS-2 Coil, painless DS-2 harness

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

DS-2 Coil, painless DS-2 harness

Arrgo
I’m trying to learn how to do the DS-2 swap from a DS-3 EEC-4 computer, may need family or friend help, or may take it to a shop. But I figured out I’ll need a coil as well.

Thoughts on quality coils that work well, or some to stay away from?

And while I’m here, how does the painless DS-2 wiring harness connect to the already existing harness.

It has 3 connections, 2 for the ignition box, one for the distributor. Does it have to be spliced in?
1985 F150 XLT Lariat. 302 V8 naturally aspirated. 4 speed AOD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: DS-2 Coil, painless DS-2 harness

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't definitively answer the question as I've not installed a Painless DS-II kit.  And I didn't find a link to one in a quick search.  But my understanding is that it is pretty much plug and play.  The connectors on it plug into connectors on your truck that are already there.

However, part of the engine harness also includes the oil pressure and water temp wiring, and those are in way different positions depending on which engine you have.  So the only way Painless could make it universal is to give you enough wire for those to get you to the farthest point where that sensor could be.  And if your engine has that sensor closer you'll have to double the wiring up and zip tie it, or shorten the wiring.

As for the coil, you do NOT want to go with a hotter coil.  The DS-II module was not designed for anything but the stock coil, and if you go with a hotter coil you could burn the module up.  Just put a replacement coil in for a DS-II system and it'll work fine.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Arrgo
I'm actually just getting ready to order this kit myself, along with the 3G Alternator wiring harness.

Lots of info on the Painless webspage. Click on Install Instructions for a PDF manual for the kit install.

https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/30812

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by Arrgo
The "Painless" harness is not specifically made for our trucks, so it is not a true plug and play like a factory harness would be. It is a universal harness designed to replace an older points style ignition on *any* vehicle, so some cutting and splicing will be required.  

I had one of those before I found an original DSII wire harness from a 1983 F150, which was a true plug and play.  But they are getting hard to find these days.

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.