Current going to Blower Motor can be higher than Headlights - why no relay mod?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Current going to Blower Motor can be higher than Headlights - why no relay mod?

kramttocs
Administrator
With such a drastic change in the amps going through the factory fuse box, what is the general thought on dropping the fuse rating?

My fuse buddy circuit testers came in the other day so I was, primarily out of curiosity, going around and seeing what everything was pulling.
Not surprisingly, with going to all led besides headlights, headlight relay mod, and this blower mod, all of the factory fuse sizes are way beyond the draw now.

For the blower fuse it was around .10 amps no matter what speed. Expected since it's just pulling in a relay. When A/C is on and compressor engaged, since it goes through the same fuse, along with the fan it was around 4.6 amps fluctuating but never going over 5.

I know you fuse for the wire but is there any reason to not reduce this fuse to a 10 instead of the 30?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Current going to Blower Motor can be higher than Headlights - why no relay mod?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We had this "conversation" when you convinced me to put a 3a fuse in my PDB to run the voltmeter.  So, why are you doubting yourself now?  

Seriously though, I see no reason not to reduce the size of the fuse as that will ensure the fuse blows quickly before any damage can be done should there be a fault.  Presumably you'll be carrying spares?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Haha that's right! I felt like I'd had the discussion before  
I'd actually been changing them all out to pretty much 5's and 10's but then I got to wondering last night if there was any reason I shouldn't.

I would say that me telling you that and you telling me that I told you that as well as now you telling me that it's ok is good enough for me.

Even though the 30a fuse for the blower was just relocated, it does feel good to drop the in-cab one down significantly.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
kramttocs wrote
I would say that me telling you that and you telling me that I told you that as well as now you telling me that it's ok is good enough for me.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
If that's how y'all feel.

Fuses are sized to protect the harness.
Harnii are sized for the components connected.

I hear you that LED's and add on relays reduce the need to flow a bunch of current through the ignition switch and fuse panel.

I don't have any intention of undersizing my fuses unless I chop out a section of existing harness, and deliberately under size it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I think that's an entirely valid stance. I will still do so but acknowledge it doesn't really benefit anything.
Scott