Cup Holder 85 F150

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cup Holder 85 F150

C.Jett
I had an idea for a cup holder, I don’t need an ashtray. Soooo here is a mock-up. Found this at Lowes, item #1069021 Craftsman magnetic cup holder. It is very strong.  It just needs cleaning and painting. Installed two power points, but one will do as some plugs come with three power points. With the magnetic style, they can be removed for center passenger or you can use the folding plastic type. You can also put a slot on top behind cup holder for your phone. You would need to install a pocket underneath. Will work on drawings when I finish it up. I will post them when I do if anyone is interested. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cup Holder 85 F150

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I like the CAD (cardboard aided design) model!

That looks very handy for those without a console or the seat mounted Ranger cupholder like Shaun has.

Would definitely be cool if you could post a scaled pattern.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by C.Jett
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is cool!  Lots of people don't need an ash tray, so that might be a really good solution.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
That is cool!  Lots of people don't need an ash tray, so that might be a really good solution.  
But some of us need a shifter
I dont think the shifter stick will clear the cup holders?
But the nexttime on Lowe's I will see if I can find them
I can use it in the garage on the side of the tool box.
If I put my drink on the bench it gets in the way but the biggie is when I use the bench grinder it makes everything jump and fall off the bench.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by C.Jett
My only concern would be the holders moving with vibration... magnets slip. Especially if one has a large "cruiser cup" size drink in there (very top heavy).

But, try it. See what happens!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Lowe’s item #1069021 Craftsman CupHolder. My truck is an auto, sorry. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by ratdude747
The magnets have a rubberized material that keeps them from slipping. Go to Lowe’s item #1069021, get one, stick it to a column and you will see how good it holds without slipping. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
If I put a slot for a phone, will the magnets interfere with the phone? Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
im not criticizing because i love ingenuity. but i am wondering why you went through all the design to be able to use a store bought piece. you were almost there.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Mat, my original design was a one piece two cup holder. It would be very uncomfortable for middle passenger. Plus a safety hazard for that person, so it evolved to this design. Remove cup holders and middle person becomes cup holder. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
C.Jett wrote
Remove cup holders and middle person becomes cup holder. CJ
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
that is awful close to "hold my beer"
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Finished!, the top power outlet is only hot with switch on, the bottom is hot all time and wired to original cig lighter. Brown paper bag between your legs Mat. CJ

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Turned out great!

I have the Harbor freight cup holders like that, only in blue to match all my.... blue stuff..
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That looks good!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Gsmblue, that’s a good looking truck you have, even if it is blue. I was trying to match center of my dash is why it’s black. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary, in hindsight, I should have sourced a good quality folding plastic cup holder, you wouldn’t have to worry where to store them. If you know of some good ones, let me know. CJ