3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cracked lower dash

old yeller
Evening Everone.
 Hope we are having a great weekend.
Has anyone tried fixing a lower dash crack or do you have to find a replacement.
My interior is sand/tan, but I found a blue one, not sure how it will look after painting.
Any suggestions on fixing the crack, super glue, somthing similar to fiberglass patch on the inside?
Thank for any suggestions, Clayton
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cracked lower dash

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not tried to repair a dash, but I'd bet it can be done.

However, I can say that from my experience most of your interior panels are really different colors from each other, so if you paint a blue dash it'll be different as well.  But you may decide to paint the other panels that are close to it so they are the same.

The paint colors, SEM paint codes, and a recommended supplier are on the page at Documentation/Specifications/Interior Paint.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cracked lower dash

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by old yeller
old yeller wrote
Has anyone tried fixing a lower dash crack or do you have to find a replacement.
My interior is sand/tan, but I found a blue one, not sure how it will look after painting.
Big Brother's original dash was broken by the first owner:  Before selling the truck to my wife's father, they took off the CB, and found was faster to brutally tear off the mike holder instead of unscrewing it (resulting in a big nice hole over the gloves compartment door).

While restoring the truck, I decided to replace the dash.  But no saddle or tan at my local salvage yard.  The cleanest was red.  And there was an acceptable passenger's door panel too, which was grey.

I painted them, and finally had to paint all the plastic interior trims, since the Saddle paint I bought was slightly more pale than the original color.

Here are some picts, showing the red dash in the donor truck, the two disassembled dashes (red on right, original on left), and the final result.

I don't know about fixing plastic dash, but replacing and painting did the job for me, happy about the result.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.