Couple of part & repair questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Couple of part & repair questions

CDLong
Big Red repairs are shut down until after the holidays, (boss's orders), but I want to kibe some things out. Here's my questions:
1. What is the proper name of the light mounted under the hood? I need a bulb & lens cover.
2. How do I replace the road map bulbs in the interior light over the rear window?
3. Can the vertical crack in the dash be repaired? Don't know why the screws are there?
4. I must lift up on the driver’s door to close it. I have seen a hinge rebuild kit. Should I try the kit or just replace the hinges?
5. Can the bar to lock into 4wd be purchased or do I have to get the entire locking hub?

Screw in dash bottom
CD Long Jr
1985 F150 XLT Lariat 302 EFI AOD transmission 4x4 regular cab LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Couple of part & repair questions

85lebaront2
Administrator
1. My 1986 owner guide simply says "underhood light (optional)"
2. If I remember correctly, you have to take the plastic cover off the center, remove the screws and take the light assembly off to get to those bulbs
 3. On the crack, possibly, it is a common problem. The screws hold the plastic parts onto the metal frame. The entire dash is a built up assembly.
4. If there is play in the hinges, I would replace them as the replacements will probably be the later design.
5. Can't help you on that, I've never owned a 4X4 truck.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
Thanks Bill.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by CDLong
CDLong wrote
Big Red repairs are shut down until after the holidays, (boss's orders), but I want to kibe some things out. Here's my questions:
1. What is the proper name of the light mounted under the hood? I need a bulb & lens cover.  Lamp Assembly (Engine Compartment).  You can see the details on the page at Documentation/Under Hood/Engine Compartment Lamp.

2. How do I replace the road map bulbs in the interior light over the rear window?  I think Bill is right.

3. Can the vertical crack in the dash be repaired? Don't know why the screws are there?  Yes, I think it can be fixed by gluing a piece across the break on the back.  And Bill is right about the screws.

4. I must lift up on the driver’s door to close it. I have seen a hinge rebuild kit. Should I try the kit or just replace the hinges?  Here I agree with Bill, but the repair kits do a fine job on the original hinges.  Prop the door up so you can take one hinge off at a time and repair it on the bench.

5. Can the bar to lock into 4wd be purchased or do I have to get the entire locking hub?  I don't think so.  See the illustration below which suggests a whole bunch of those parts are in 1K104.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
Thanks again Gary.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by CDLong
all questions already answered but I will add to the cracked dash. I have run into dash repairs needed a few times. be aware that the crack may have happened seemingly on its own. the plastics do not age well and once they have seen 40 years, they can get brittle. once a crack begins the plastic tends to shrink back and the crack opens up. the screws that hold it to the skeleton frame can cause the cracks if overtightened. in order to do a good repair, it may be necessary to remove the dash.  my concern is that to position it back together fully, you will need to loosen all the screws to the passenger side of the crack and reset them after the repair is done.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i just noticed the truck info. 85 efi 5.0 with c4. are you sure that it's not an aod? if so t should have a 14 bolt trans pan the says metric
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
all questions already answered but I will add to the cracked dash. I have run into dash repairs needed a few times. be aware that the crack may have happened seemingly on its own. the plastics do not age well and once they have seen 40 years, they can get brittle. once a crack begins the plastic tends to shrink back and the crack opens up. the screws that hold it to the skeleton frame can cause the cracks if overtightened. in order to do a good repair, it may be necessary to remove the dash.  my concern is that to position it back together fully, you will need to loosen all the screws to the passenger side of the crack and reset them after the repair is done.
I'm figuring on replacing the dash once all mechanical issues are repaired. Thanks for your insight.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
i just noticed the truck info. 85 efi 5.0 with c4. are you sure that it's not an aod? if so t should have a 14 bolt trans pan the says metric
Yes, there 14 bolts. Good catch! I was going to replace the modulator valve but I found that the AOD doesn't have one. Gotta do some studying on it. I have changed the transmission to AOD in my signature.
CD Long Jr