classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Core support bushing replacement

Littlebeefy
Hi guys and gals,
I'm trying to replace my core support bushings, but I'm finding it to be more complicated than I thought. I originally bought the rubber replacements from JBG but they don't fit. The mounts on my frame have an oval opening instead hexagonal so those won't fit. I got a set of the Energy Suspension bushings, and they fit the mount, but the whole in the middle of the bushing is way bigger than the bolt and there is no metal sleeve supplied or available for the inside of the bushing. Am I supposed to install it like that or do I need to find a sleeve? Alternatively, the Prothane mounts are mentioned in the documentation section. They seem like they are identical to the Energy Suspension version but I can't tell from the picture. Is it the same situation with the Prothane mounts as well? If so, what have people done in the past when using these? Do you source a sleeve or just let the bolt float?
Thanks,
Chad
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Core support bushing replacement

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chad - I'm surprised that the hole is that much bigger.  Looking at the documentation I don't see any bushing used.  Can you show us some pics?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Hi, Gary. Great to hear from you again. Here is a picture of the one JBG sells with the hexagon that doesn't fit my mount (shown side by side):

Here is the Energy Suspension Poly bushing. The bushing fits perfectly inside the mount, but you can see that the hole for the mounting bolt is much wider than the bolt is (sorry, I didn't take exact measurements yet):

This is part number 4.4109 and includes all of the bushings for a Bronco (it's what they sell on JBG). They sell a hardware kit for this set (DHW011), but even though that set has sleeves for the rest of the body bushings, it does not have sleeves for the core support bushings. I ordered a set of the Prothane bushings, like you mentioned on your documentation page on the subject, but I fear they will have the same dimensions because they seem to be virtually identical and manufactured by the same company.

Should I source a sleeve based on measurements or should I assume that it was meant to be installed without a sleeve?

LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Wow, I have never seen a core support mount in that shape. Everything I've torn apart has the hexagon shape.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Shaun,
I don't know how common they are but I have to assume they aren't that rare. The reason why I jump to this conclusion is that the poly mounts for the 1980-96 Bronco fit inside the narrower oval opening; if they were intended only for the hexagon hole, they would be wider, since the flats on the hexagon are wider than the flats on the oval.

I prefer the poly mounts to the rubber ones, so I'm not concerned about the size or shape of the hole in the mount since the poly ones fit. What I am concerned about is how much wider the hole through the poly bushing is than the bolt used to mount the core support. Anybody using the poly bushings on the core would have seen that putting the bolt through the bushing is like tossing a sausage down a hallway. I don't see a sleeve in the illustration either, but given these are aftermarket, that OEM picture isn't as reliable.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
I'm with Shaun.  I've never seen a hole shaped like that on the radiator support brackets.

But to answer your question, I think you need a bushing.  Or bushings since you don't want the bushing to go all the way through as the force from the bolt is supposed to clamp the two halves together.

Maybe call Energy Suspensions?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Ok . Ill bite ! How are the core supports held to the frame?
I ask think wondering if they may have been replaced. And if so were they possibly from a different vehicle. I too have only seen hex holes on these. Even the repair plates that jbg sells to weld on are hex only.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Looks like somebody else found those brackets on a Bullnose Bronco before, and factory installed too (riveted on). So weird.

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/radiator-core-support-and-body-bushings.183411/

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Now that is kinda what i was thinking. I recently finished a custom bronco 2.  One of the things that i found doing it was that the rear body bushings were oval where they went through the frame. Not exactly the same oval shape but enough that it gave me the idea of them being from someghing else. A factory anomaly maybe??? Haha
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This is strange.  First, below is the illustration from the MPC on how it goes together - with an annotation or two from me.  

But note that the bracket is 5A041.  So I looked that part up and that's where the strangeness started.  Note that the Bronco (U150) is listed three different way - 80; 86/on; and 81/85.  Weird!  But they all took the same part - E0TZ 5A041-A, which is the same as the F-Series trucks.  But it was replaced by F2TZ.  But they couldn't have been built with that part as it didn't come out until 1992.

So I'm completely at a loss as to why some of the brackets have an oval slot.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
So I'm completely at a loss as to why some of the brackets have an oval slot.  
Ford started welding that bracket to the frame in 1992. That part of the frame became a crumple zone, so the surface was no longer flat. The 1992-up brackets have special bends to match up with the wave of the crumple zone.

The oval hole sure is odd though, and both from Broncos...

They usually rust out around here...when you take anything apart, there's usually a BIG round hole...the same OD as the rubber bushing LOL.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well, it gets weirder and weirder.  Here's the info on the bushings themselves.  And the Broncos take different bushings for the radiator support than the pickups.  On top of that, the bushings for the Bronco changed in 12/80, but were even differenter!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
For the record, mine are riveted on and the bushings that I cut off were original so I’m certain these were original to my Bronco. I will be selling these incredibly rare mounts for the reasonable price of $1,000. Any takers? Hahaha
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Littlebeefy wrote
For the record, mine are riveted on and the bushings that I cut off were original so I’m certain these were original to my Bronco. I will be selling these incredibly rare mounts for the reasonable price of $1,000. Any takers? Hahaha

Put em on eBay!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
But before you do, check to see if there is a # on them.  Of course it'll be an ID # but I should be able to cross ref it to the part #.  I'd really like to know what it is.

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Sorry, Gary. Either the liberal coating of Por-15 has obscured the part number, or it is on the side that is against the frame.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And you won't remove it just to satisfy me?  

Ok, thanks for looking.  I was just curious.

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowpony
I'm following this thread, very relevant to my project.
My '84 Bronco has the same frame mounts, bolted on.
My '85 Bronco is the extra large round design popular here in Michigan!
Please let me know what you figure out.
Thank you
Curt
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
That is exactly what was expecting. Bolted on. I am not familiar with any factory core support mounts bolted to the frame.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowpony
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,
 Went the extra mile just to satisfy your curiosity! LOL!
I did remove the bolts holding the bracket to the frame to look for some numbers, and here they are.
Can't say they are not bolted on from the factory, but this Bronco only has 22,000 miles on it has was not really touched after 1986.
Thanks for the forum, really do enjoy it!
Curt