Converting 2 wire to 4 wire level sending unit

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Converting 2 wire to 4 wire level sending unit

PossumTruck
The level sender on my IDI (2 wire) (midship tank) is finally degrading to the point where I want to replace the unit. This would be straighforward, if the connector was not disintegrated and (glued?) in by a PO.

I cant find a replacement pigtail for that thing anywhere, but the 4-wire deals that will also run a fuel pump are plentiful.

I figure that I can swap in a 4-wire pickup/sender unit and only use the sender wire and ground with a new pigtail. A question I don't have the answer for is whether the diesel and gas units use different ohm ranges and thus this wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure the tanks are the same (19 gal).

Also open to any other suggestions. It looks like an 87 mustang pigtail would work for the 2 wire, but trying that does not seem as good of an option as using connectors that I know will work.
86 F350, 6.9L manual, Cab & Chassis.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Converting 2 wire to 4 wire level sending unit

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The diesel and gas units have the same resistance range, so it should work.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by PossumTruck
Reply | Threaded
|

PossumTruck
That does look correct! I swear I looked on bronco graveyard too...
86 F350, 6.9L manual, Cab & Chassis.