Convert orig. color code to RAL

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Convert orig. color code to RAL

Wolpe
Hello guys, it's been a while since I wrote here. I hope all are doing well.

I need your help. Is there a conversion from the Ford color column to RAL?

In my case I am looking for the RAL number for Dark Brown Metallic 5Q and Light Tan 6U

Woul be great if someone can help

Thanks in advance
Michael
1982 F250 Super Cab W351
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Convert orig. color code to RAL

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That standard is 100 years old and contains <2.500 colours. (There are only two metallics, IIRC)

Get yourself an actual automotive paint system (ICI, Glasurit, something.....) and have them match the color code with their computer.

Because you will never be happy with the result from such a limited pallete.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Wolpe
Have you found our page at Documentation/Specifications/Exterior Paint Codes?  There you can decode your 5U & 6Q to the 4-digit Ford color "Prefix Base".  I've never tried, but I have always assumed that with the 4-digit # you could find a Ditzler or DuPont or some other paint vendor's #.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think Ditzler is too popular in Europe.
While just about every auto paint shop has a color matching scanner.
Just be sure to check inside a door jamb or some other place that's been protected from UV and a lot of heat.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.