Computer part number

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Computer part number

Josette McArthur
 Truck is running rough and mechanic says it's the computer. Problem is that the label with part number has been torn and is missing last numbers. He said there is about 6 different computers. Any ideas on how to come up with the correct computer. Ford dealership said they couldn't  find part number with Vin number. Thank you
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Computer part number

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you can tell me everything you know about the truck I can probably come up with a short list of computer numbers. And with those you can probably nail it.

Year, engine, transmission, 2WD or 4WD, If the truck was sold in California or at high altitude, etc.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Josette McArthur
It's a 1985 F150 flareside, 4x4, automatic, 302 fuel injected .Doesn't have Air conditioning, and don't believe it is a California build.Was hoping someone on forum might have similar truck that could give me numbers off their computer, or have information on how to find the part numbers. Vin number doesn't help.Has anyone had computer rebuilt.Thank you
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
At one time I had two extra 1986 302 computers. As for rebuilt, there is an eBay store, Auto Computer Exchange that I have had excellent results with.

One item to check, on the 1985/86 EFI 302, the entire computer system grounds through a connector to the negative battery cable clamp. The plug that is on a pigtail from that is very prone to corrosion in the plug/socket pair resulting in a high resistance on the ground. This raises havoc with the system.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Josette McArthur
It looks like there are only three calibration codes for the 1985 F150's with EFI and a 4WD/automatic combo, and all three have the AOT/AOD transmission.

And here are the parts lists for those three calibration codes with the computer #'s highlighted.  So your computer will be one of those, and I'd bet either 454 or 474.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Josette McArthur
 Thank you this is so appreciated ,I will get electrical checked out.Are you interested in selling one of your computers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome.  But if the question about selling was to me, I don't have one of those computers.  I checked my stash and nothing was close.

Hopefully you can see enough of the #'s on your computer to figure out which one you have.