Clutch pedal gettin' a little low

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clutch pedal gettin' a little low

RenoHuskerDu
Puddles the 86 F250 received a ZF5 in 2018. A few months later, the slave cylinder failed so we replaced it with a matched set of master/slave.  No problem since.

But lately the pedal seems a little low, especially for our womenfolk. I read in another thread here that there is an adjustment rod on the master at the firewall.

I'd be inclined to have a peek at that rod.  We didn't see any clutch adjustment rod on the Bricky buildup we just did. Perhaps it went away with the handsome Bully grill, as it were...

Thoughts?
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clutch pedal gettin' a little low

Gsmblue
Time for a new clutch?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Gsmblue wrote
Time for a new clutch?
I should have stated that with the ZF5 conversion we added a solid flywheel and new clutch. It's a chinese brand from RockAuto but works fine. And the family is well trained not to slip clutches. All the kids and wife learned to drive in yurrup on manual tranny diesels. However it follows logically that as a clutch disk wears, the pedal will get lower.

We also have a LUK in a Bricky and it chatters a bit. So for the last Bricky ZF5 conversion, we went with a Sachs clutch and it seems superior to the LUK. FYI
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have a Luk in Big Blue and it does exactly what you said - chatters a bit.  Will try a Sachs next time then.  Thanks for the tip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on that clutch/ZF5?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Gsmblue wrote
Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on that clutch/ZF5?
Probably about 15k max. Daughter used to commute to college classes in it. Then she got her own CVPI.