Clutch mystery… what happened here??? 😳

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clutch mystery… what happened here??? 😳

mat in tn
it's like the last installer got his bolts at lowes. arp might be worth the wait.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
ARP doesn't have the right ones....

But like I said, place bolts are available.

The link above, or the local Cat/Deere dealer definitely has something that could be trimmed to fit.
Cutting a bit off the end didn't hurt too much, and held up over time
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Yup, regular stamped washers… some with that little circular “bite” mark punched out of one side.

The more I read about this is the better I understand what is needed here… and appreciate the design of place bolts. Hopefully there is one available in the appropriate size.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
The AMK place bolts are on order… my only concern is whether or not the shoulder might be too tall for the flywheel thickness, but we shall see… in my opinion the bolts supplied by the flywheel manufacturer didn’t have enough shoulder.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sorry, they only show a generic bolt photo, so I can't scale it.
But SAE calls for 1 3/8 of thread so hopefully losing 1/2 from a 2 5/8 bolt gives you 7/8 " thread and 1 1/4" of shank.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
That’s pretty tight at just 1/8” less than the flywheel thickness, but that should be enough if the bolts conform to SAE convention. There is also a 10-hole spacer on the DMF that would buy me a thin washer worth of thickness. I will find out when they get here…

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Best of luck to you Jonathan!  

I'm sure Cat or Deere has a bolt for you, but I don't have their back catalogues, and I'm well aware that time is of the essence.

https://wilsongarner.com/what-are-place-bolts-used-for/
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
On Friday I received both the AMK place bolts and the bolts from Russ’ Repair. The shoulder size was SAE just like you said they might be. I trimmed them 1/2” with an angle grinder cut off wheel and used the factory 10 hole spacer “just in case”. I did use medium strength thread lock also, because the holes in the crank flange go all the way through into the crank case and this is recommended to seal against oil finding its way into the clutch.

A huge thank you to Jim for sharing your knowledge about fasteners and providing the link to AMK. That is a very good company to buy from.

On another note, I was running errands in Bullhead City and stopped by the Salvation Army thrift store and found this… I know, it is for motorcycles but I bet it will also lift a ZF pretty nicely. (And it was $50!)

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Jonathan!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
I'm so glad this is worked out for you, Jonathan!

My autism may make me very pedantic and detail-oriented, but in this case I think it's important.
Place bolts are "The Right Stuff"

That motorcycle lift is going to be a godsend putting the transmission under your truck!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I have a jack just like that. it was left at a property i bought in a junk pile. l can only assume it was too heavy or just not valued in any way. yet I have been using it for a couple years now. very handy! does great with transmissions. my transmission jack does better but only because of the tilt and angle features.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
You definitely need thread sealant on those bolt holes that go through to the crankcase.
BTDT, BTTS....
 Jim,