Clutch chirp - constant

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clutch chirp - constant

PossumTruck
So I had a bad clutch pedal assembly and a leaky clutch master - today was the day that I finished replacing it all - new clutch-line-slave, reinforcement plate (also a new radio antenna, cluster LEDs, repainted the needles, resealed the under-cowl area with all the brittle seam sealer).

Anyhow, the truck is shifting better than I have ever had it - the pedal assembly has been bad since I bought the truck and I was none-the-wiser. (Background on that)

Problem now is that there is a constant chirp, speed relative to RPM, unless I have the clutch depressed the slightest amount. Pretty sure I could force this situation by adjusting the master to always be effectively placing some pressure on the clutch (which I know means im wearing out the clutch faster).

The thing I'm wondering is, will this eventually just "wear away"?

The clutch needs replaced, I know this. Not because it doesn't work, but because it rattles at idle when in neutral and pedal not depressed. I can live with that. The chirping will drive me crazy.

86 F350, 6.9L manual, Cab & Chassis.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clutch chirp - constant

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You don't have what the transmission is in your signature, but does it happen to be a ZF5?  I ask because they have a rattle in neutral with the clutch not depressed.

As for the chirp, it may go away with wear.  (In "Are You Being Served" speak, it'll ride up with wear.  )  I'd give it a while before worrying about it.

Anyway, if you did all of that in one day you really had a good day.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PossumTruck
Haha, It's a t-19.

I really did all this on 3-ish days over the course of a month. When the clutch became an issue, I started disassembly and have been working only when it was okay-ish outside. It was a March project, really.
86 F350, 6.9L manual, Cab & Chassis.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you put info like that in a signature we wouldn't have to ask, and our answers would be more accurate.  

Anyway, I'm glad to see you didn't do it in one day.  I was feeling really old and slow.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Gary i’m hoping you identify as captain peacock and not mr Humphries. 
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Are you being served!

I doubt you could make that show today.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm free!

No, you couldn't make that show today.  And probably shouldn't.

But I'm not sure I want to identify with Captain Peacock.  Maybe Mr. Grainger?  Or Jug Ears?  (Mr Cuthbert Rumbold.)  Perhaps Mr. Lucas?

Hard to believe that the last episode of the regular series was filmed in '85 and we moved there in '87.  No wonder that it seemed so real to us, especially since my office was literally across the mews from Selfridge's, and I saw a lot of AYBS in there.

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
That chirping noise would concern me. It can't be a belt so it must be something doing more damage than just making noise (or about to). If it were me, and I had just repaired all of the clutch hydraulics, I'd go ahead and put in a new friction disc, pilot bearing, and resurface the flywheel. While I'm in there I'd check the input shaft and realign the clutch. None of the parts are that expensive and I'm guessing they need to be replaced anyway.

I think that sound could be coming from a worn or misaligned clutch, or it could be from uneven wear on the flywheel. To be honest, though, I don't know much.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
mr grainger. mr lucas would be a stretch
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
throw out bearings have been known to give a squeal. rattle and sometimes a chirp. worth investigating for sure. if it is the throwout bearing then it will not heal and as far as "riding up with wear'. its wearing out not breaking in.