classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clifford intake & header kit

tanman
This post was updated on .
Has anyone used the intake and header kit from Clifford? I’m considering this kit for my 86. I hear about a lot of issues with trying to fit the hedman headers near the starter.

Does anyone know what distributor I would need to pair with the intake? I’m thinking of using the DUI distributor and following the guide for this distributor swap in the site documentation section

This is my distributor
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clifford intake & header kit

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's not so much the intake, as the carburetor.
You're either going to a DSII system or a HEI style distributor, and abandoning your EEC computer.
Either way you will need to add a vacuum line to control spark advance.

But consider how big that HEI cap is, with the coil in it.
I think Rob has one on Eddy Myrtle, so you might check his thread.

A PMGR starter from a mid-'90's 4.9 is smaller than your present starter and with the addition of a heat shield or blanket will help a lot with heat soak.
Headers don't have the heat absorbing mass of cast iron exhaust manifolds so a lot more heat is thrown off the pipes farther down by the starter.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
The big HEI dist. Is not such an issue on the 4.9 as it is on the v8s.
On the v8s the vacuum can hits everything when trying to adjust the timing.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by tanman
FWIW, the wiring on the driver's side inner fender actually has the connection points for the DS-II system as Ford was using both EEC-IV systems for feedback carburetors and EFI and non-computer systems on the heavier trucks. If you go with a GM ignition, be aware that (a) it is a power hog and as a result (b) needs a dedicated 12 or 10 ga wire that receives full battery voltage with the key on. My recommendation for anyone back fitting an HEI system is to use a key on controlled relay to connect the battery directly to the HEI positive terminal.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
I don't know what your plans are for the truck, but you can get an HEI distributor for a third of the price of a DUI. Then again, if you're thinking about the Clifford kit, price probably isn't much of a concern. Having not seen a DUI in person, I think they look about the same in the truck. The fitment can be an issue, but many have done it without any dramas. I replaced my pushrod cover with an EFI engine's cover, which maybe added to my issues, but with a minimal amount of filing, it fits.

Other's will sing the praises of a DSII setup...

Also, the headers from Clifford are not Hedman, they make their own. I hear they have excellent customer service, give them a call and discuss your concerns.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Rob,
Since you have the experience, are you using timed or manifold vacuum with your HEI, and how do you have it routed over the engine?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Timed. It runs around the back of the engine with the PCV vacuum, brake booster vacuum, fuel line and choke cable.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
@Jim I had to do some research on what vaccuum and mechanical advance means. I think this article gave a good explanation. Apologies for it being a chevy website.

everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-vacuum-advance-and-ignition-timing

If I used a DUI distributor, where would this vacuum line connect? The carb?
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
In reply to this post by Sac79
@Sac79

I emailed Clifford and they responded quickly. I like their kit because it's all inclusive: carb, intake, headers, air cleaner, gaskets, and hardware. If you have any tips for a for more cost efficient distributor I'm open to saving some money. I would prefer to spend money though if it prevents tinkering.

@ArdWrknTrk
Noted on the PMGR starter, I will "start" by swapping that out.

@85lebaront2
Noted on the relay. I poured over the Ignition Simplification page and read about the relay and that big yellow wire over by the brake booster.  

As always, thanks to everyone for the tips and conversation as I make ready to "fix" a perfectly good truck.
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You are talking about a Chevy style starter, I'd expect the knowledge base to be there.

While I don't think that's "Everything You Wanted To Know About Vacuum Advance And Ignition Timing" it is informative!
Yes, timed (or 'spark') vacuum has to come from the carburetor, because it has no vacuum at idle it is a port above the throttle plate, and the vacuum shoots up as soon as the butterflies open.
... very similar to how a transfer port works.

I'm not certain what carb Clifford includes but surely there is a timed vacuum port you can use.
I'll have a look at their website.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
The carb provided with the kit is a Weber and yes it has a port for the distributor vacuum advance. I believe the instructions from Clifford are very good and again, you can call them if you need assistance.

As for a more cost effective solution... A HEI distributor can certainly be found cheaper and installation is going to be similar to the DUI unit.

As for the rest, I did not go with headers and my combo came in under $1000. But you can no longer get the Y-pipe without a cat converter, so the total would probably be closer to $1100 now and that's with getting the EFI exhaust manifolds from the salvage yard. So considering you get headers, the Clifford kit isn't looking so terribly priced.

Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Rob, thanks for that!

My Edelbrock has Weber cast into it and my uncle's Ferrari had a brace of Webers down the middle so I have no reservations there.

Can you link the 6 cylinder HEI you mentioned?
I honestly don't know why the Davis distributors seem so ridiculously expensive.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
https://swperformanceparts.com/product-category/shop-all/electrical/distributors/hei/ford-hei/
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

nilknarf007
I have.  I got the kit with the intake, 2 Weber 38/38s, but no headers.  Everything that I read on the subject led me to believe that the headers would be useless unless you are going to hop up the engine itself.  So I opted to put the exhaust manifolds from a later EFI model.  Bottom line is big improvement in horsepower, big improvement in gas mileage.

With the Carter 1bbl, I was getting a solid 11 mpg.  Granted, mine is an 83 F150 4x4 w/ NP435 that I have lifted and has 33s for rubber.  On highway driving, any extended grade, no matter how slight, required me to get into the gas pedal to avoid downshifting.

With the Clifford, I don't even have to think about grades, unless I'm going up a mountain.  My gas mileage is now 17 mpg.  That's a 50% improvement.  If I had to guess, I'm getting about 50 more horses, but I'm still well below 200 (also just a guess).

Is it worth it? I could have done it for less with an Offy and a used 4bbl, and probably got the same outcome.  But I just couldn't resist the look of the two carbs.
Rob F.
1985 4x4 4.9 i6 NP435, HEI distributor, smog delete, Clifford intake, twin Weber 38/38s.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Good news! Looks great!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by nilknarf007
I like the look of the dual carbs.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
I just finished installing this kit from Clifford Performance and wanted to post a picture. I had some issues during and after installing the setup but overall the truck is running great. It is significantly faster getting up to highway speed.

I'm not fond of my clamped up temporary exhaust. It's rather loud and I will be taking it to a shop but for now the transformation is complete and I'm very very happy with how it turned out.

86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
In reply to this post by nilknarf007
Where is the vacuum line for your PCV valve connected? I just have the valve for now and I don't have any more vacuum ports on the carb. The 1 port on the carb is attached to the distributor.

Should I "tee" into the vacuum port and share a vacuum connection with the distributor?

Should I "tee" into the vacuum for the brake booster?
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Without seeing full details of the Clifford kit it is hard to say where the PCV and brake booster should go. Both need a good sized port directly into manifold vacuum. Are there adapter plates under the carbs? If so, maybe drill and tap for a 3/8" nipple in each one and brake to one PCV the other.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
The ports are usually on the side and are sometimes plugged.