Cleaning really dirty glass/windows

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cleaning really dirty glass/windows

Gsmblue
What do you do to clean really dirty glass?

On the new truck, I have: sap, bird poop, hard water marks and who knows what else.

So far I have:
Gone over with a soapy wash mitt
Sprayed with a window cleaning product, some rainx branded one
Attacked with a straight razor blade, that dealt with bird poop and sap.
Taken a wet magic eraser over all the windows
Wiped down with 70%IPA

The windows looks tons better but I know they can be even better.

I still have what looks to be hard water marks on most of the windows and not sure how to get rid of them.

I haven’t dug out the clay bar or 0000 steel wool yet as my hands got cold. Will either of those help? Is there another method I am missing?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cleaning really dirty glass/windows

grumpin
I have good results with Bruce’s GSR.

Also with this clay bar simulator, I guess you’d call it.

https://mothers.com/products/speed-clay-2-17240
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I have some clay bar and fake clay bar. I guess that will be tomorrow’s attempt.

Lots of people talking about white vinegar which makes sense too..

Not seen that Bruce thing before

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Depends on what you mean by "dirty".  An '82 F150 I bought had a pitted windshield that had sat out in the open for years with the white paint from the roof oxidizing and coming down onto the windshield when it rained.  The paint was in the pits and it caused a horrible haze when trying to see through the windshield.

I tried everything anyone mentioned, from abrasives to vinegar to muriatic acid held in place with little dams of clay, but nothing helped, much less fixed it.  The fix in the end was a new windshield, by which time I'd already spent an appreciable portion of the cost thereof in chemicals.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Oh, wow! I hope I am not in that bad a situation. I definitely thinking I will go one more round of mild detergent and microfiber clothes followed by clay bar and then white vinegar.

Also planning a trip to the breakers on Saturday, maybe I will be adding glass to the list!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
A used windshield just isn't worth it...

You have to cut it out (if you have the right tool)
You're likely to at least chip an edge, making a place for a crack to start.
Whichever one you find has already been on the road and has pits.
Then you need to scrape the sealant off, getting it REALLY clean.
Buy an EXPENSIVE tube of urethane, AND the application gun (ask Gary how dear tools like that are from 3M)
Cut your old one out.
Grind the old sealant off, vacuum any rubber, paint or glass chips.
Prime the pinch weld, with another shop supply that has only one purpose.
Use some glazing wedges to hold the windshield up off the pins for the moulding clips (another thing to buy, by the 100, when you need 2 or 3)
Then set it in place and put the trim back on (did you remember new retainer clips, when you were getting everything else at the body shop supply?)

I can get a new windshield installed for $225.
No effort on my part.
No collecting materials or tools, like a cutout knife, rearview mirror adhesive, moulding remover, dispenser gun, razor blades, 3" sandpaper discs, new clips, whatever....
The old one is disposed of.
And the new one comes with a 6 month road hazard warranty.

You may be more adventurous than me.
I'm going to spend an hour sipping complementary coffee and looking at my phone, or pay the $50 to have them come to me and do it at my job or in my driveway.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Excellent thread topic!

The windshield in my 1980 project truck is REALLY dirty, and while I haven't even attempted to clean it yet, I'm hoping that it cleans up OK. It looks like it is the original 41 year old windshield, but I don't know how one would tell for sure. There is a faded Permashine sticker in the lower RH corner, and I have a receipt from when the original selling dealer had the truck Permashined in October of 1979. However, the black stuff that it is sealed in place with is really messy...like it's all over the place in a couple spots. (I seem to recall reading that they changed the product they sealed windshields with many years ago...but I really don't know).

We have a bit of an issue with windshields here at Mr. and Mrs. Rembrants. We use the drive trough car washes a lot because our well sometimes gets very low in the summer. Anyway, Mrs. Rembrant is always squealing about the film on her windshield from the waxes/sealants in the car wash. I usually wipe the whole outside glass down with brake cleaner on a rag, several times, and then clean with glass cleaner several times (Bon Ami is what I have been using lately). I also change the wiper inserts as often as possible.

Bit of an ongoing battle I'm afraid.

I'd like to tackle the Bullnose windshields though...they both could be improved, but at the end of the day, I think they both probably have worn/aged surfaces.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Those white magic sponges + water at the grocery store/wallyworld do wonders, as does crumpled newspaper (moistened) using woodstove ash

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - We've joked recently that we need a new emoticon with Numberdummy's hound's picture as the button, and when pressed it would embed "ACES" for Another Clueless Ebay Seller".  But in this case it would say "There's Chris' picture!"  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
HA!

I have been over with the magic eraser, it did cut through a lot of the "gunk". I suspect as the glass all looks original I just have to make many passes. If the weather cooperates today i will get the synthetic clay out..

Also, I realized last night, the rear slider window is broken. Not sure if it is a whole new window or not, I will post pictures later..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I went to town on the Bronco windows.

So, went through all my window cleaning products. Nope. Still spots.

Wire wool.

Nope still spots.

Bought a new clay bar.

Nope still spots.

At the back of my garage i found some “spot-x remover”. I forgot i had that when i bought my LR3

And hey presto, no more spots!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good job!  So that's the trick - SPOT-X.  Good to know.  And your window looks great.