classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
83 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cheap Chinese carburetor... WARNING

85lebaront2
Administrator
The Chinese generally don't care about patents or copyrights, they change just enough that you have to go back to them for parts. Then they are usually not available.

Summit apparently bought the design rights for the Autolite 4100, but do not as far as I know, make a 2 barrel version. The really humorous thing about the Ford carburetors, in the 70s Holley came out with and enlarged version of the 500 cfm 2 barrel, it used annular discharge venturiis, lots of small holes around the venturii. The Ford design will actually feed a balanced lean mixture better than any other carburetor.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I hate to admit it, I just can't afford a new or reman Autolite right now so trying to get this Chinese carb working.   At some point when it warms enough, I will take a look at the old Autolite - it seemed to be leaking around the throttle shaft, whcih isn't easily repaired I was told.  I believe that from the little I know about carb construction.  

At least with it on hand, I have been able to study it to see things I can't easily see with the Chinese carb or even an autolite when installed.   You can't see the high idle lever installed.  All by sense of feel.  

Autolites are pretty common and easy to learn and understand.   Since I'm going to stay 2 bbl, may as well stay with the Autolite or the Chinese clone - that's my thought on it.
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Randy, FWIW, I used to own a carburetor and ignition shop. I told a friend one time I could probably do an Autolite 2100 with my eyes closed. It was by for the most common rebuild we did, not because of problems, just a load of them around.

Throttle shaft "leaking" air can be a problem, but most rebuilders use bushings to bring the clearances back in tolerance. Fuel coming out is caused by flooding.

Suggestion, find a junkyard one with a "tight" shaft and use that shaft in your carburetor. Or you can send the old one to me and I will see what I can do about either (a) finding a good shaft or (b) bushing the main body of yours.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Oh wow, thanks for the offer.    Once it warms up where I can work comfortably in my outbuilding, I want to fill it with gas or something and see if it is leaking for real at throttle or if it is coming from somewhere else.   Then decide.   It had a drip at bottom of throttle lever when I was messing with it before I got the Chinese carb.  COulda been a leak from elsewhere or flooding.

It is a UREMCO reman from Jan 2015.   IF it's leaking from flooding or something I can repair, I may rebuild it just to learn exactly how it works.  ( I can clean/rebuild a Honda 250cc motorcycle carb in 1.5 - 2 hours from pulling bike onto lift to reinstallation)  Same kinda thing as the 2100.   I learned all the tricks.  I need to learn about the 2150 if I'm going to own it.  Not a lotta old carb guys around anymore here - they smoked and drank themselves to death.  

Again, once it gets warm enough to scour the few remaining junkyards...  man I miss being able to go walk a junkyard.  Used to be a lot.   Not anymore.
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
"rcarlisle” wrote
Not a lotta old carb guys around anymore here - they smoked and drank themselves to death.
Careful, that’s a perfect description of Bill - old and a carb guy. And he’s still here.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Gary Lewis wrote
"rcarlisle” wrote
Not a lotta old carb guys around anymore here - they smoked and drank themselves to death.
Careful, that’s a perfect description of Bill - old and a carb guy. And he’s still here.
But he's still with us, thank goodness!  We need these people's knowledge.  

I'm thinking of 2 local guys we used to have.  ONe dude had a garage and would make chili or soup in a crockpot in his office.   Now think about how those guys' hands looked most of the time.   And of them making soup at work.   Then he wanted to share his soup and chili with everyone that came in.  LOL

I called up a race car buddy and asked him as well and he told me there just aren't a lot of old carb guys that know how to tickle a carb anymore.   So I may as well figure it out myself.   I can be a helper if someone needs it.  WE'll have chili later.
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, thank goodness he's still with us!

But you can do it, I'm sure!  And the chili will be good, too.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes, and I don't smoke, drink yes, not as much as I used to, but having joined an organization that was founded in a tavern I have been known to down a few.

As for carburetors, I was trying to list alphabetically all the different ones I have worked on, starting with Aisin and ending with Zenith. Here is the strangest Autolite carburetor I ever worked on:
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool, Bill! Here's something I found on it:

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
I was just reading about the cross boss on Hemmings yesterday.   Sweet!
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Parts manager at one of our local Ford dealers had a Late Model Sportsman Fairlane with a Boss 302 and running one of those 850 CFM versions. First thing I did was convince him to turn the RPM up a bit, normal gear for our 3/8 mile oval was in the mid 5s, like a 5.38, I got him to go up to a 6.25 I believe, then I worked on the throttle and jetting. It ran lean so I had him bring me a bunch of the later Autolite jets, (large thread) that were in his stock and never sold. I started making bigger ones and playing with the air jets on top.

When I finished, we took the car out for the Wednesday night practice and tune session, you haven't lived until you ride around a 3/8 mile oval hanging onto the roll cage on the passenger side. We got it where he was easily as fast as the Chevelles with their 350s and Holley R3310s. Come Saturday night, he wound up starting on the outside pole, flag dropped and he damn near went sideways from the gear and power increase. It wasn't too long before the brand C crowd protested the car and found a way to ban the carburetor throttles were bigger than allowed by NASCAR.

Bad thing, I probably could have had one and an intake for dealer cost if I had wanted it. There was also a dual inline top for that manifold. Throttle bore spacing is the same as the Windsor cylinder spacing so the runners all line up with the throttle bores on the dual inline manifold top.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Every track has same issues.   I helped on a street stock in the early 90s and that sounds like what would happen there every week.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool story!

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
Randy, the track is still there and in use. It is right next to NASA Langley Research Center and was called Langley Field Speedway for years. It closed for a while and then reopened and is now Larry King Law's Langley Speedway (Larry King being a local trial lawyer).

I spent many a night out there working on various cars. Best story for me was my partner, Fred Pennington, and I built some modified Holley carburetors (Holley swiped some of my ideas) and had built a pair of Holley Double Pumpers with modified boosters and drilled and tapped for different air bleeds. In a bit of whimsy, Fred painted the booster on two of them, one set was red, the other blue. The carburetors were set up exactly the same. The driver, Skip Jutras, ran the car on the Wednesday night track time and we were clocking him, times were essentially identical. At the end Skip informed us, "The one with the red boosters is faster". He owned a body shop up the road from Preston Carburetion.

About 8 or 9 years ago, I had a tree limb fall on my 1994 Taurus, dented the hood and right front fender. Since I knew Skip, I went there for an estimate. When he met me inside I looked at him and said, "The one with the red boosters is faster". He looked at me, shook his head and said there are only two people that would know that, and you're not Fred. I said no, I'm Bill.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Excellent story.  I love old tales like that.  

Back to the carb saga... Got home with my M3 x 6mm screws.  Put one in and it was turning with resistance.  Figured it was leftover locking agent.  Got down to the last couple turns of screwdriver and danged if the screw head didn't twist off.  So now, I have a cheap Chinese carburetor with a cheaper chinesium screw broke off in the throttle shaft.  

Tried another screw and the threads of screws are apparently made of cheese and the throttle shaft holes have a slightly different thread pitch.  It's damaging the screws when I try to thread them in.  And they aren't SAE.
I had some of those.   Thought about getting a tap and die set to chase both sets of threads.

This is very frustrating for sure.  

But I think I'm going to put the autolite back on.  Maybe see if I can find a cheap one at a junk yard
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Maybe they are M3 X 0.5 pitch? There is an M3.5 X 0.6 though.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
This post was updated on .
Yes the new ones are labeled M3.  I bet 3.5s are going to be harder to find.  Possibly a McMaster Carr order?

[edit: found some on ebay with free shipping]

Going to go back to my old Autolite after some cleaning.   It was working perfectly except the fuel leak which may have been my fault if I flooded it as Bill said.   Will be checking that as well.  

Not having the truck running is hurting my soul.    
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Can I remove the EGR plate when I reinstall the carb?  If I have enough clearance for the carb (linkages, etc) without it?   It's blocked off and nothing attached to it.   Just a spacer with a lot of air space inside it.  

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think so because I recall that creates a vacuum leak.  I don't remember the details, but I think the plate covers a hole that is off to the side.

Maybe someone else remembers better than I?

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I will look while the carb is off and see what's there.   The plate itself on mine has a block off plate bolted to the back.   And inside are passages that go towards that plate, of course.   Will have to check for other holes.   I looked locally for a standard kind of spacer for a 2 bbl, but that's like finding hen's teeth.   May as well work on this part of the onion while I'm there, make it the best I can.   I like it being up that inch higher.  Just figured that plate doesn't contribute to better fuel economy with the large chamber in it.  
Randy