Checkin' in with update on Big Red.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Checkin' in with update on Big Red.

CDLong
First, sorry for the delay. I'm 71 yo & retired. I'm slower than most of you youngins and only have limited funds the first of the month when my check comes in. been job huntin', but no luck. I have performed a major tune up, replaced all filters and changed engine oil, Rebuilt the fuel reservoir which is mostly J&B weld now. The air box has been installed and the tubing to it. I had a slow crank issue and a hot start issue. I had the battery and starter tested at Advanced Auto. Battery is good, starter is shot. Starter was $110.xx. No funds for it at that time. On the way out, a guy told me check Rock Auto. I purchased the starter, ignition module, which I was told was probably the hot start problem, 2 battery hold down clamps & the engine coolant sending unit for $107.xx & that included shipping. Once these parts are installed, I have to cut down both battery cables. Then the engine and engine bay are done except replacing the cruise control cable which is broken in the mount on the engine. 11/18/23 engine purrs like a kitten, fires right up. I have to trace wiring for engine coolant temp gauge. New sending unit but not working. I'll borrow a vacuum gauge and start checking the transmission vacuum. If no issues then the modulator will be checked, adjusted or replaced. I have checked all fluid levels & jacked up front end and checked side to side and top to bottom of wheels, no play. I’m constantly turnin' steering wheel back and forth to go straight. There will be a new post on this, my frame is flexing on the driver’s side.
CD Long Jr
1985 F150 XLT Lariat 302 EFI AOD transmission 4x4 regular cab LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Checkin' in with update on Big Red.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm 76 and retired, so I understand the "slower than most of you youngins" bit.  In fact, I cleaned my shop from 9 yesterday until 3 and was so tired I went to bed at 9 last night.

Anyway, you are making good progress, and progress is good.  But I have some thoughts about the steering/frame so will go over to that thread.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Checkin' in with update on Big Red.

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by CDLong
CDLong wrote
I have to trace wiring for engine coolant temp gauge. New sending unit but not working.
First, be sure you understand the difference between a sender and a sensor, because the parts store kid rarely does....
You want the one with a single red & white wire.
Schematics and troubleshooting under 'Fuel Tank Selector and Gauges' in the 1986 EVTM. (section 18)
 https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1986-evtm.html
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.