Cheapie 1157 LEDs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cheapie 1157 LEDs

IowaTom
Had the weirdest thing happen.  Wait, I take that back.  Most of what I do has a weird result, however, I bought a 10 pack of inexpensive LEDs to maybe brighten up my park, turn signal, brake and tail lights.  
Now I think I know why they were cheap.  The turn signals work fine when I run with no lights.  The run super slow when I have the parking lights on...and they don't work at all when the headlights are on.

I'm using Gary's double relay setup on the headlights but that shouldn't make a difference.  Just weird.
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cheapie 1157 LEDs

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Define "don't work at all".  Do you mean they don't come on or that they don't flash?

I'm guessing that they don't flash correctly, which sounds like a ground problem as they are somehow using the headlights as the ground when the headlights are off.  But that doesn't really fit with the fact that you changed to LEDs.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Gary, the lights will work all the time, but the signal flash is only normal when the head or park lights are in the off position.  Nuts, ain't it?  The signal flash is s-l-o-w when the light switch is pulled out to first click (park) and absolutely no flashing when the heads are on.
If I use incandescent 1157s, everything's fine - works as it should.  It does sound like a grounding issue, now that you mention it.  Lots of things can be traced back to stuff not hooked up tight, as I recently encountered with my solenoid.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Have you installed an LED flasher?  The standard flasher uses the current going to the light to heat a bi-metallic strip that bends away and turns the light off.  But LEDs pull so little that the flasher doesn't work.

That doesn't explain, at least to me, why the LEDs flash with other lights off, but still you should have an LED or HD flasher in there.  (The HD flasher is like the LED flasher and doesn't care what he load is.)

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i wonder if the headlights flash when they are turned off
yes, the standard flasher requires the load of the bulbs to give resistance enough to cause heat to operate the thermal flasher. led bulbs need a more sensitive timed design.
another issue that can leave someone chasing their tail is the fact that leds are polarized even though they are replacements and can often fit in either way. 1157 should not have this issue as it has the two offset index pins plus unless "custom wiring" was done, the polarity should be correct. dash and marker lights are a different issue. these you may have to turn the bulb 180 deg to get them to work.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
When I put LEDs in place of my marker lights, parking lights, turn signals and back up lights on my Lebaron convertible I had an issue with the flasher as the 1990 wiring uses a single combination flasher with two power sources, one is ignition switch fed (turn signals) the other is battery fed (hazard flashers). I found a nice electronic flasher, but had some strange issues. First was the front marker lights, they are wired across the filaments of the park and turn lights up front and due to the LED polarity issue would not come on under certain conditions. They are supposed to illuminate with the parking lights on or with the turn signal for that side as they are visible from the side and the parking lights and turn signals are in the bumper. With the normal #195 bulbs they blink with the turn signals with lights off or in opposition with them on. Needless to say they did not behave with the LEDs in them.

Since the 1990 wiring uses relays for all the lights, it got a bit more interesting, but they now work as the should. on with running lights and blink with turn signals. Rear was easier as the taillights wrap around so the rear marker lights are just markers.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Thanks again, Fellers.
I found a $9 LED flasher on Azamon and it comes tomorrow.  :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Bill, there are LED replacements that are not polarity sensitive (probably just two in the fixture going opposite directions)

I don't know what bulb style is in your cornering lamps but I'm pretty sure the Sylvania Zevo's go both ways.
Or you could look at Superbright LED's. They seem to have everything.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
The LED flasher works perfectly!  Again, thank you, guys!

I love it when the solution is simple...because all too often it isn't.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!