Center Dash Speaker? Yes or No?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Center Dash Speaker? Yes or No?

Powerman5K
This came up in another thread yesterday as I'm installing a radio and speakers into my 80 F100. I thought I'd start a new thread to get other opinions. I am installing 6.5 " speakers in the doors and currently plan to put a 6x9 in the center dash.

Is that wise?

Does it make a difference?

Should I just leave it out?
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Center Dash Speaker? Yes or No?

Gsmblue
I would pass on the dash speaker. Put nice speakers in the doors.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
so far, every truck I have done has not gotten the dash speaker. it is not needed or even helpful if you are doing more speakers. i generally do custom sound anyway and far exceed the dash speaker. however, I do have a couple now with nothing at all and am considering putting an original am/fm in one with a dash speaker just so I can get the Ramsey show
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
Been there, tried that, didn't work so well. Ended up frying my radio trying to run a 3-speaker setup. A pair of Sony's in the doors is all I have and it does decent enough. Not as good as my ranger with factory amp and 4 speakers, but I'm too stingy on behind-the-seat space to put a speaker box there, so it is what it is.

Back to the dash hole: it's too small for a good subwoofer, so it's kinda pointless. Maybe if you wanted to run a external speaker on a CB/GMRS/Ham radio? But again, kinda pointless.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
I wouldnt.

I have just the door speakers for my radio.  I did install a NOS Ford speaker how ever in the dash which I made up a headphone jack pigtail for where my CB radio is actually powering the OE mono speaker in the dash.  Makes it so much easier to hear the CB when driving down the road as the speaker is facing up bouncing off the windshield vs facing down towards the floor.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by ratdude747
ratdude747 wrote
Ended up frying my radio trying to run a 3-speaker setup.
I suppose it depends on your radio model?

I have the original radio in Big Bro (which I updated for modern features such as hands free with Aurora Design kit), so it is made for 3-speakers arrangement.

For me, the dash one is required.
Truck is noisy, the passenger speaker is far from the diver, the center dash one does the job for my taste.

I changed the 3 speakers for new ones, happy about the result.  I don't drive a dancing room...

Be aware that the dash speaker is not so easy to find, due to its dimensions.

About wires, most modern radios are built for 4 speakers scheme.  Why not wire the center one as the "front", and doors as the "rear" ones?  This way you could have full control over the balance output and loudness over each of the 3 speakers.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Back in the dark ages we created "center channels" by taking the negative wire from one side and the positive wire from the other to a speaker.  That way anything that was in both channels played from the center channel but things that were in only one channel didn't play.

So if it was me I'd put a center speaker in and play with it.  Can't hurt.  In fact, in my shop I have a center channel hooked up that way and it works very well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've decided just to add the 2 door speakers. I am installing a double din radio (not a tough screen) with it. It should be a good mix between 80's look with modern features. I have 3D printers in my classroom and will custom make a trim piece to make it all look factory.

I also have designed/3D printed a custom cell phone holder that mounts using the random tray on the right side of the driver (in the dash). I'll try to post photos of that this weekend along with the STL file should anyone want to print their own.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Do you use one-way diodes so the left and right speakers are isolated from the center, or does it matter in your experience?

Great Idea by the way.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't use diodes and it doesn't seem to matter to the left and right channels.  I'm listening to Jay And The Americans at the moment and I have full stereo.  But then when the DJ came on he was in the center channel.  Then Day Tripper came on and the instruments are spread across the speakers and the vocals are mainly in the center.

Here's a shot of the setup in the shop (the neighbors are away at the moment) and I've circled the Bose left and right speakers and drew an arrow to the center channel speaker.  (And if you look closely this thread is on the left monitor and the MPC is open to ash trays on the right one.  )

A center channel set up that way works nicely.  But there is another way to do it and that is with a dual voice-coil speaker.  You wire left to one coil and right to the other.  Higher tech, but the simple way can be quite effective.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
That's a cool setup.  Most of mine is in the closet or the shed.

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  But what you are seeing is a small part of the library.  To the right is a shelving unit with every TSB from the late 70's to the late 90's as well as several other documents.  And there are two other shelving units with more documents on them.

I really should get my "card catalog" up to date and keep it there, both so I know what I have as well as in case I lose everything like happened to our neighbors.

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Gary Lewis wrote
Back in the dark ages we created "center channels" by taking the negative wire from one side and the positive wire from the other to a speaker.  That way anything that was in both channels played from the center channel but things that were in only one channel didn't play.

So if it was me I'd put a center speaker in and play with it.  Can't hurt.  In fact, in my shop I have a center channel hooked up that way and it works very well.
That's interesting, I just looked up the wiring scheme for what you're explaining. I've been staring the dash pad support in the face for a while now thinking about putting a speaker there, so I think I'll do this.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can always disconnect it.  But you might like it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
I was thinking the same thing.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
That's what I tried with my vintage Sharp headunit. And likely what fried the LH channel.

I ran the center speaker at a higher impedance (double) than the door speakers and crossed it from LH- to RH+. I had the left door speaker between LH common and LH+, and the right between RH common and RH-. Before it fried, the center speaker always seemed to overdrive the other two speakers... After that experience, when I changed to the current headunit, I abandoned the center speaker idea.

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - Unless you were running 2 ohm speakers I don't see how adding the center channel fried an output.  But what am I missing?

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
It depends on how the speakers are wired.

Wired in parallel, two 6 ohm speakers will reduce the ohms to 3.

Wired in series, two 6 ohm speakers will increase the ohms to 12.

Why the Ford 2 speaker radios are 6 ohm approximate, and why the Ford 4 speaker radios are wired in both series and parallel inside the radio to also equal 6 ohm.  (as used in our 1980-1986 vintage vehicles. Other years will vary )

4 speaker radio: The radio at 6 ohm output, two front channels in parallel = 3 ohms, then the two rear speakers in series with the front, increases the 3 ohms to 6 ohm.

The mismatch of ohms may have done it. You should use matching ohm speakers with each other.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
The final setup was a pair of 4 ohm Sony Speakers and a 16 ohm center speaker (after the stock 6 ohm and an 8 ohm speaker both overdrove; 6 ohm was obviously a terrible thing to try per below).

That radio had a 6 wire speaker setup... L and R had what was in effect a +, a -, and a center tap (which in a traditional 4 speaker setup would connect to two speakers). What I did was on one side I ran the door speaker between + and center, and on the other I ran the door speaker between center and -. I then used the two disused wires (a + and a -) to drive the center speaker, idea being that having a connection from each, it would average the stereo signal to the door speakers. It never sounded particularly good (or loud), and one day I lost the LH channel entirely. Was it the setup? Or was it a dying radio? Dunno, but either way when I installed the current unit, I didn't even consider using the center speaker again.