Carter 'electronic fuel sensor'? Proper name? Source??

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Carter 'electronic fuel sensor'? Proper name? Source??

TheGeneral
Hi there,

["The General"--1985 F150 2wd 4.9 Short Wide w/ Carter single bbl w/ CA emissions]

I am a relatively new member and have been looking for the proper term for what I have been told is an  'electronic fuel sensor' so I can get a new one and hope to smooth out the erratic stumbling and pass smog.  

It's the vertical cartridge on the double idle screw side (driver's side) of the carburetor that takes the signal from the computer and sends it to the choke.

Just two screws on the top hold it in and the bottom is a wire with a plug... Older Carter one barrels do not have this piece.

I have looked under carburetor parts and I have looked under emission parts and I have looked under fuel parts, and Napa can't figure it out....

but the person who was helping me get my truck dialed in  was an old-timer shop owner who used to run a carb shop who knew *exactly* what everything was, and more about that truck than anyone else I have met so far--ie it's not the air idle sensor it's not the throttle position sensor etc... and exactly how to fidget with the old choke, manually set the timing, etc to smooth her out as best as possible.

I recently had my carb rebuilt, I have a new manifold catalytics muffler all of the normal tune-up plug wire cap rotor new distributor distributor.... But I still have a minor back leak and some hesitation, although no pinging.  

So what in the heck is this thing called so I can buy one?  I literally only have until the end of the week before I am out of DMV extensions because I have not been able to get it to smog.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help point me in the right direction!!

Miss Bell and The General
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Carter 'electronic fuel sensor'? Proper name? Source??

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  Glad you joined.  

And, glad you finally posted, having joined 6 months ago.    But you probably have forgotten the instructions in the email we sent you.  You were to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then start a new thread/topic to introduce yourself.

That's important as we hold everyone to the guidelines, so want you to have had every opportunity to read them.  And since they are posted at the top of the NMSH folder we direct you there first crack out of the box.

So, please assure me that you've read them.  Then we can get on with the whatchamacallit.

Speaking of that, we can nail down everything that is supposed to be on the engine if you can find the calibration code.  That's explained on the page at Documentation/CALIBRATION INFO & PART #'S.  But the label is usually on the valve cover and looks like the pic below.

If you can find the calibration # I'll give you a list of the parts that were on the engine when new.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
I think you're describing a pulse feedback solenoid. Google E4PZ-9S565-B for a sample picture.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
It is the feedback solenoid.    You need to make sure that both pieces of the carb body are tight.  If this has not been done, or if you don't know if it has been done or not.  You must do it.  The 300 engine, being a inline engine, shakes violently when starting and stopping.  The carburetors are notorious for  coming loose.  This will cause stumbling.  turn the carb upside down and make sure the 4 screws are tight.  If they are loose, take each screw out and put some thread lock on them and put the screws back in.  Also check the carb to manifold bolts, i have to check mine every few months, i've gotten so used to it, when my turck comes to a stop, it will do a little stumble, then catch itself.  This is how i know to check the bolts.  I have no fix for that one, i've tried everything.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
In reply to this post by TheGeneral
So I could have sworn I introduced myself, seeing as I managed to add a photo of The General....but just in case I shall post again.  And in response to THIS thread--I got the part! And like all of the other smog (*^%, lol, but I got her to pass CA smog!  Thank you for the help, it definitely made a difference fmaking sure the parts guy got the right part.     --Bell
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got the right part, and that it passed testing!  

As for the introduction, I said in part:

But you probably have forgotten the instructions in the email we sent you.  You were to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then start a new thread/topic to introduce yourself.

That's important as we hold everyone to the guidelines, so want you to have had every opportunity to read them.  And since they are posted at the top of the NMSH folder we direct you there first crack out of the box.

So, please assure me that you've read them.

Yes, you did introduce yourself.  But not in the NMSH folder.  That's not a big issue at all, but I just want to make sure you've had a chance to see the guidelines, and we keep them in the NMSH folder - among other places.

So, have you read them?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI