Carpet install questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Carpet install questions

Gimmeagig
I want to see if what I have planned makes any sense to you guys.I have a ratty vinyl floor in my 85 F150. I bought a ACC replacement carpet . The existing vinyl goes just underneath the seats but the ACC carpet would go all the way to the back wall. I don't care so much about that. I don't how much rust I'm going to find when I remove the vinyl. I know the drivers side back corner has a hole. I want to fix that as I go and still be able to drive the truck. That's why I want to make the new carpet easily removable and cut it in a front half like the vinyl and a back half. cutting out slots for the tracks. Then I can deal with the rust over time without having to take out the bench seat each time I do something. Also I could later on if needed add some sound dampening material. I'm also thinking if more rust develops over time it is easier to treat it if I can just slide out the carpet.
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Carpet install questions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I would personally be reluctant to cut the carpet.  But I confess that I don't understand where you would cut it.  If that's behind the seat then I fear that the back bit would never lay down correctly because there are lots of angles and such back there.

But the carpet back there isn't tied down very much and you could probably get it out of the way to work on the cab corner without cutting it.  So maybe lay it in there, put the seat on top of it, and see how much movement you have?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I'm with Gary on this! I put that same carpet in my shortbed 86 and it went in nice and fit great. I'd pull the old stuff, fix the floor and install the carpet. Personally, I wouldn't even think of hacking that carpet up.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Third
I think you'll find it isn't too much work to remove the carpet again when the time comes if you don't tackle it all at once.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gimmeagig
I'm pretty sure that anything you need to do to the cab corner you're going to have to pull the seat out anyhow. (and the B pillar trim, sill covers,...)

Not sure what "over time" means to you.
I'd likely deal with my 1/2 rubber mat while welding up the floors, then paint, then install insulation/sound proof and carpet at once.

Vote 4x???
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
This is the route I'm going. I have left my trashy rubber mat until I have time to fix a hole in the floor pan, then install sound deadener, then a new carpet. Cab corners were fixed when I painted.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.