Can one buy the nuts for seat mount bolts?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can one buy the nuts for seat mount bolts?

RenoHuskerDu
I have two that are so heavily rusted that - so far - the broken off bolts won't come loose. If there is no way to buy new ones, I'll have to break out the torch or drill  out the bolts.

Either method is difficult on such a small item.

These fit into the sheet metal of the floor plan. I drove these out downward after the bolts broke off. They've been soaking for days in penetrating oil. No luck so far, even twisting out of the vice, and I don't want to mangle their outer surfaces.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Can one buy the nuts for seat mount bolts?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't find those things in the MPC.  Are you saying they go under the floor of the cab?  Or am I misunderstanding?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I found these in the Documentation/Reference/Standard & Utility Parts Catalog:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
They look very similar to the firewall nut for the dashboard strut on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel.

I'd have thought these fasteners were in the Z-rib below the cab floor?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
If you can explain the Z-rib to me, I could answer that. They are  pressed into doubled sheet metal of the floor of the truck. When you bolt down the seat, those bolts go into these special nuts.

Gary does your parts chart suggest that I could find these by part number at a Ford dealer?  It's so discouraging going in there for parts lately. Ford has stopped offering so many needed parts for older trucks.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I suspect you need the M10 version 'cause that's what the catalog says the seat bolts are.  So you'd be looking for N621776.  But my searches for that on the internet haven't turned up anything.  Nothing from Rear Counter, which is Ford, nor Auveco, which frequently has nuts and bolts for vehicles.

So I don't know that your local Ford dealer will be able to get them.  But it is worth a try.

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Yep they are M10 indeed.  I'll give the dealer a try. Thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let us know, please.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I imagine these nuts are installed in the sheet metal after the panel is stamped out (and not on the line)

That might make it a challenge to find new.
But there is a part number, so....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
What about just welding in some square nuts?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The nuts are unavailable and nowhere in stock nationwide according to my local Ford dealer. Who is helpful btw.

I'm going to drill them out then chase threads. Heat would be ineffective imho because of the massive heat sink effect of clamping a small part into a metal holding device.

Will inform ...