C6 governor removal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

C6 governor removal

Matt Wood
Hi all, its been a while, hope you're all well!

Long story short here, im helping a friend of mine with shifting issues on his C6 (1970) basically it really doesn't want to shift, it will hold gears for way too long and will only shift if you come off the throttle a hair, and then it jumps hard into the next gear (adjusting the modulator does NOTHING) We have done lots of investigating and testing and we're down to just the governor, the issue is we will be doing this on a farm in the middle of nowhere so tools won't be a problem but spare parts aren't an option on the day. I'm worried about seals and such.

Any advice on the removal of the governor and what to look out for as to not need any new parts, or if I will need them, what am I likely to need so I can order them in before the end of the week

Thanks

Matt
'Shelby' - 1985 bronco XLT, 351W C6, Limited slip 9 inch
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: C6 governor removal

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hey, Matt!  How's the UK?  I'm reading that y'all are seeing a significant drop in COVID cases.  Hope that's true and you are staying safe.

On the tranny, I don't know as I've not pulled a governor apart on a C6.  All I can suggest is that you read the factory shop manual section here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/c6.html

And, I've tagged Bill/85lebaronT2 as I think he's rebuilt those transmissions.  Let's see what he says.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Matt Wood
I would check for soft vacuum lines to the tranny.

Can you swap in a good modulator?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
To get to the governor, remove the driveshaft from the transmission. If you have a 4WD, then both driveshafts and the transfer case need to come out. After you have either the extension (tailshaft) housing or the transfer case adapter left on the transmission, you will need to remove the nuts from the bottom of the crossmember. Support the transmission, a floor jack with a piece of 1/2" (13mm) plywood big enough to spread the load on the pan will be needed to raise the back of the transmission off the crossmember. This is where a 4WD is a little easier. On a 2WD there are two gusset plates on each end of the crossmember, there are two bolts from the top of the frame through the gussets. These do not need to be removed, even the nuts do not nee to come off, just loosened to the point the gussets can be lifted off the crossmember. On a 4WD the driver's side comes up on the outside of the frame rail and has two through bolts, passenger side is the same as the 2WD. The passenger side bolts will be a pain due to the exhaust pipe(s). With the gussets free, there are two bolts, one on each end of the crossmember, with them removed, and everything clear (lifted off) the crossmember will either drop (4WD) or can be twisted back on one side so it drops clear (2WD).

Now that you have an unobstructed view, lower the transmission for better access and if a 2WD remove the speedometer drive from the extension housing, take out the bolts holding the adapter or extension housing to the rear of the main case. You may need to remove the mount form the adapter or extension to reach one or more of the lower bolts. With the output shaft exposed, if there is a speedometer drive gear on the shaft, it will need to be removed by depressing the retainer clip and sliding the plastic gear off the shaft. Now, there are 4 bolts holding the governor to the parking lock gear, remove them and slide the governor off the shaft. There should be a small cone shaped strainer in the feed hole (a) don't lose it but (b) take it out and check for crap on the outside and clean it.

FWIW, I agree with checking the soft vacuum lines and modulator. If the truck is using ATF and smoking, that is a sign of a bad modulator.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
So sorry it took me ages to reply, I didnt get an email saying there was activity on this thread! (Probably my fault for not checking the box)

Gary, the uk is going back to 'normal' no more restrictions and masks are now optional, most have now had their jabs! (I know that can be a sore subject your side of the pond!) And most importantly car shows and events are now able to go ahead!! Been to goodwood festival of speed and 'the classics' at silverstone so far since re opening, its nice to see everyone's work throughout the last year worth of lockdowns! How was your overlanding adventure? Looked amazing from the photos!

Bill, thank you for the really detailed instructions! Its a 2wd which seems like more work unfortunately lol, we never got a chance to tackle it last weekend so will be having a go in mid September when we're back down there, it doesn't sound like there are any seals to look out for and (maybe a stupid question) am I going to take anything off thats going to drain the fluid?

I've already checked for rubber lines and tried multiple modulators, no smoke or anything like that so the govenor is the last resort really, failing this we'll be buying a new trans to make it easier
'Shelby' - 1985 bronco XLT, 351W C6, Limited slip 9 inch
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - Glad to see that things are getting back to normal.  And those events sound like a whole lot of fun!

Reply | Threaded
|

Ken Blythen
In reply to this post by Matt Wood
Matt

Just before you open up the transmission........C6 governors can get sticky & problematic due to a lack of lubrication in the rear housing.

An easy fix (if nothing else is wrong) is to either lift the rear of the truck off the ground, or find an empty stretch of road, then have a couple of minutes drive in reverse.
In reverse, oil is flushed into the rear housing & floods the governor in oil.

I've had two C6's & both benefited from this at times. Another symptom can be that as you coast to a stop (or to low speed), the transmission doesn't consistently downshift to take off again.

Well worth a try....although I didn't get the hard shifting problem.
As suggested, I would also check that you are getting good vacuum at the modulator.

Good luck

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ken Blythen wrote
Matt

Just before you open up the transmission........C6 governors can get sticky & problematic due to a lack of lubrication in the rear housing.

An easy fix (if nothing else is wrong) is to either lift the rear of the truck off the ground, or find an empty stretch of road, then have a couple of minutes drive in reverse.
In reverse, oil is flushed into the rear housing & floods the governor in oil.

I've had two C6's & both benefited from this at times. Another symptom can be that as you coast to a stop (or to low speed), the transmission doesn't consistently downshift to take off again.

Well worth a try....although I didn't get the hard shifting problem.
As suggested, I would also check that you are getting good vacuum at the modulator & that the modulator diaphragm is ok (holding vacuum).

Good luck
And there, friends, is the beauty of this forum.  We have a guy in New Zealand helping a guy in England.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ken Blythen
Hi Gary,

I still appreciate your guidance de-smogging my truck back in the day......I removed the last remnant of that Ca. system two weeks ago (long story) & installed a new Holley! Feels like a 20% power bump....don't know about mpg yet
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Hey, Ken! I wish that you and your wife were able to attend the truck show at the end of this week. What has it been... 3 years?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ken Blythen
Yes, it must have been either 3 or 4 years.  What a wonderful event!  People from New Zealand, Australia, Alabama, Colorado, and even California!  (And lots of other places in between.)

So, Ken, how 'bout telling us what you've done in another thread?

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, it must have been either 3 or 4 years.  What a wonderful event!  People from New Zealand, Australia, Alabama, Colorado, and even California!  (And lots of other places in between.)

So, Ken, how 'bout telling us what you've done in another thread?
And Nova Scotia! Wasn't Vinny in attendance that year?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, he was!  That was quite a year.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ken Blythen
This post was updated on .
Hi gentlemen!

David, I'd have loved to have been there at the show this year!

Yes, three years ago - 2018 (Vinny was there). I'm pretty confident that we will get across again sometime, but Covid is cramping everyone's aspirations now.

We (New Zealand) are in the later stages of our second nationwide lockdown right now with Delta.......so far only one fatality this time, but I think we've really dodged a bullet - it was brought in from Australia & moved very quickly; I think we very nearly lost control of it.

Regarding a truck thread Gary, I don't know if it would be very inspiring......mainly just routine maintenance etc & all the typical 80-86 issues.

The various transmission transplants & conversions were interesting, but pretty basic.....ALTHOUGH, I am about to embark on a rear end change, which will be fun.
The truck currently has it's original Dana 60 semi-float, 3.54 rear, which has slowly developed a hum when taking a LH curve (215,000 miles) - just slackness in the side bearings I think, rather than an actual ring & pinion problem.

But I bought an F250 rolling chassis cheap with a good full-float (vs my semi-float) Dana 60, that is a direct bolt-in regarding pad spacings, shock & sway bar mounts, brake drum spacings etc. And it's a 4.10, which will be slightly better suited for my use.
Also, really making my day, I had new replacement brake parts on the shelf for the original axle - shoes, hydraulics, spring hardware etc - which are all interchangeable with the new axle .

So these parts, along with new wheel bearings & seals, will freshen the 'new' axle up for the swap, beef up the truck's capacity, & improve my gearing in a clean sweep.

I'd like to get that done & in before our summer....along with new calipers & hard brake lines. But work & commitments don't leave much spare time.

All the best Gary & David, I hope all's going well for you both!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ken - The New Zealand approach has had a dramatically different effect on deaths than our approach here in the US.  Even just here in Oklahoma our 7-day average is currently 27/day.  And since our population is only 3/4ths that of yours, that 27 should really be extrapolated to 36/day.  It is really hitting us hard.

So I do hope that we get this thing in control, quickly.  And, that you can travel here soon.

As for the thread, I'd be interested in reading it.  I vote that you tell us what is going on with you!