C6 Rebuild, Overdrive, Replacement options

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

C6 Rebuild, Overdrive, Replacement options

dirtymac
I am looking for thoughts and suggestions on my C6 transmission.  The pan leaks, the front seal leaks, it hard shifts, and I would really like an overdrive.  I have a good transmission guy that has done work for me before and I'm planning to discuss all of this with him.  However, I'd love some feedback from yall as well.

I have a Dana 60 rear end with 4.10 gears and I have 4WD.  I don't plan to do a lot of heavy hauling, but I do have a small teardrop camper that I would like to tow.  The camper, fully loaded, maxes out around 1200lbs but I can't remember the tongue wait.  When we take the camper out on road trips we normally travel for 9 days for anywhere from 2-3 thousand miles.

I'm not sure what kind of options would best fit this scenario.  I have read about planetary gear upgrades for the 1st and 2nd gear.  I've also read that there may be newer transmission options that might work.
Will
--
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: C6 Rebuild, Overdrive, Replacement options

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know about mods to the C6, but regardless of what you do to it you'll still not have an overdrive nor a lockup torque converter.  And those two things would be worth at least 1 if not 2 or more MPG on the highway - especially given your 4.10 gears.  Plus they'll make it quieter in the cab and make the overall cruise much more relaxed.

But, with the M-Block you are limited to the E4OD for an automatic or the ZF5 for a manual if you want OD.  The E4OD requires a controller, which will cost around $750ish.  But it'll give you a much better highway experience.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
all things considered the e4od conversion with a controller is the best option unless you really like a manual. I like them both.  however, you have a c6 and 4.10? we reconned one of those last year. cool build. but part of the job was to replace gears with 3.50 to go with the 32" tires. we sourced complete axles and did full swap. it was just enough to make it tolerable on the highway. my camper special has the c6 and 3.00 gear with 32" tires and it is great. not super-fast from a red light but it pulls a car hauler with a bullnose on it just fine.
 the e40d will have a few benefits. first off, the overdrive is .72 and that allows for the 4.10 to stay(both of them) and that is a big savings on its own considering the cost of axle work. second is the 2.72 first gear making taking off that much better when loaded. then you get the locking torque converter which takes the transmission off of hydro"stall" and starts generating less heat in the proccess.
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
It sounds like this might be a good option for me.  My concern is all the changes and parts that might be required to swap the transmission to the E40D.  I’m sure my transmission guy could source the transmission and controller. I’m not sure of the rest.
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You will also need the E4OD crossmember.  You can see that in this post on Dad's truck.

And, you may need to modify the floor of your cab if it is a regular.  I had to do that on Dad's truck, and you can see what I did starting here.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
I had a look through your thread and some others.  I think for now I'm going to stick with the C6.  I think the E40D conversion is a bit too time consuming right now.  Thank you all for the info!
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That makes sense.  I wanted you to know what you would be getting into and what the benefits might be.

It would cost to have the E4OD rebuilt, assuming it needed it, buy the controller, get the odd crossmember, and then modify the floor.  And you might get two MPG on the highway out of it as well as a calmer environment in the cab.

That's hard to justify financially as you'd have to drive a lot of miles to recoup the upfront cost.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by dirtymac
I have the same setup in my 88 7.3 Diesel. 4.10s, 4wd, and a c6. I opted to add a gearvendor OD unit. Yes, its pricey, but I have 6 speeds now for towing. 65mph without OD I am screaming at 3,000rpm. THe gearvendor unit drops the RPM by 500-600rpm depending on if you are level, ascending or descending.

There is a chance I am going to be converting my 7.3 Diesel F250 to an Edison Motors Diesel Electric Hybrid. I bought in and am #180th in line to receive a kit. At that point, I'll have a barely use Gearvendor unit for sale, and a good 4x4 C6 and driveshafts ready to bolt into a 7.3. The Gearvendor is only C6 specific, but a different tailshaft adapter can be purchased from Gearvendor if you need to adapt it to a different transmission.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - That sounds like an interesting project!

I looked them up but didn't learn a whole lot.  If you get the time how 'bout starting a thread about them and telling us what it is you are planning to do.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I can do that. Short story, they are a logging truck company in canada that has brought locomotive style diesel electric tech to the large logging truck industry, and are moving into the pickup truck market. They are under development, and kits will start coming out in 2025-2026. Im debating doing the f250, or my loadstar International 1600.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by dirtymac
You may want to look into US Gear but E4OD may work better.

US gear in an electronic initiated auxiliary gear. It gives the truck an extra gear for better highway mpg. From what I’ve heard It is fitted at the end of the transmission. Transmission->US gear->transfer case.

I have seen one bullnose C6 4x4 truck with it on Facebook Marketplace and the info above was from the owner.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
that sounds comparable to a gear vendors unit
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Checking online, Gear Vendors may the better (And only) pick for a new build.

US Gear appears to be a vintage option.. the truck I saw had some legit US Gear badging on the fenders, etc. I found a pic.

If I come across any salvage C6 with the US Gear tail end, may be a good one to save for future use as parts supply seem to be scarce.

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project