CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Burned wire

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
B/O would be the charge cable coming from the alternator or main power going to the cab.(or possibly the shunt if you have an ammeter)
These should be protected by a fusible link

Diagrams for 1985 (essentially the same) are available here.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
It melted at the fusible link, correct? I just want to confirm that is where they are.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm looking at this on my phone and all I can see is that the battery cable has pulled out of its lug.

But if this is an indicator lamp cluster the black and orange cab power wire should have a 16 Ga fusible link (E, orange) according to the linked EVTM section.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'm seeing a problem with the battery cable, and if that comes loose the truck will stop as that's the source of power to everything.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

84FS460
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
It did, between the orange rubber seal covering the soldered point and the starter solenoid, the rest of the wire wasn't damaged. I replaced the fusible link, the solenoid, and the battery cable. Then went through the wiring and it still smoked the fusible link I replaced.
Reply | Threaded
|

84FS460
In reply to this post by 84FS460
It's a 86 F250 with 5.0 efi engine. Sorry I forgot to put that part in.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sorry, I made an assumption based on your username.  
It helps all of us -to help you- if you could put some simple information about your vehicle in your signature.

Edit:. I would first be looking at the alternator output cable.
There must be a dead short somewhere close after that fusible link, or in the ammeter, because there are two other links (ignition & lighting) before the harness passes into the cab.

Here are the schematics:

Jim,